[tcb] Re: I need instructions or a diagram

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:47:20 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I think Denis is running a single amp for the sub using RCA outputs already
on the head units he has been buying and has been running the mids/highs
from the head unit built in amp. No splitting allowed doing that. You can't
split before the line-level converters because they appear as a regulat 8
ohm speaker load (10 ohms actually) to the head unit. If you also run a set
of speakers then it becomes about a 4.5 ohm load.

Total resistance = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)
Total resistance = (10*8)/(10+8)
Total resistance = 80/18
Total resistance = 4.44~ ohms

If the amp in the head unit is rated for 8 ohm loads then cutting that in
half will eat the amp in short order.

Denis, you need a new amp to run the mids separate from the sub amp *OR*
run only two mids directly from the head unit with no line-level convertor
(using only the front channel for those) and use the line-level convertor
and the rear channel to run the amp for the sub. If the amp running the sub
has inputs labeled *HIGH* then you don't even need the line level
convertor. Now, the old head unit running speakers directly probably only
puts about 10 (matbe 20) watts per channel out. Newer head units commonly
do 40 or 50 watts per channel.

If you want to run more than two mids then you'll need an amp for them. A
little 200 watt amp (50 watts per channel) should be fine. And then Brian's
crossover comes into play. If it's a 4 channel crossover then you run from
the head unit to the line0level converters then to the crossover --- *OR*
staright from head unit to crossover if it a unit that has high inputs and
line-level outputs. If your amps have built-in high/low filters you don't
need the crossover. The line-level signal can be split out to as many amps
as you want to run ON THE LINE LEVEL SIDE. Just no splitting on the other
side to run speakers and the converter.

Got a headache yet?