[tcb] Re: Generator light going crazy again!

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:13:45 -0500

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:27:23 -0700 (PDT) Hayden West
<soihockey86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all!
>
>   Nac was great by the way. Thanks to all.
>
>   My generator light is flickering when I drive but goes off
> when I am idling. I've checked all the connections, they seem
> ok, I've got new brushes. I think it's common knowlage my
> bus has electrical problems...This is my third battery in about
> two months. Anybody have any ideas?

If you have a nice stereo disconnect it now, and leave it unhooked until
you get the problems sorted out.

One unfortunate difference between generators and alternators is that
if the voltage reg goes out on an alternator it will either simply stop
putting out juice or the alternator itself will self destruct (and it will stop
putting out juice).

If, on the other hand, the VR goes out on a generator equipped vehicle
the generator will NOT self destruct. But it will still do one of two things.
It will stop putting out juice. OR, it will start puting out unregulated
voltage.
Possibly as high as 30+ volts.

And dude, that is such a COOL light display when it happens at night. My '69
bug went supernova on me several years ago. Cruising along at night on a
not-so-well lit road. The radio stops working. Then all the lights start
getting
really bright and then popping one after another. Headlights, tail lights, dash
lights.

Straight up "look for the alien ship" time.

Then that slight smell of burning wire snapped me out of that. I wasn't far
from
home and it didn't kill the battery so I pulled all the wires loose from the
generator itself and used the battery and my spare bulbs (spare turn/tail lamps,
 high beams weren't on so they worked still) to get home on just the battery.
When I cranked it the next day hooked back up I was reading about 18 or 19
volts
at the battery.

G2