[tcb] Re: Gas Gauge Question

  • From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:04:21 -0600

The only thing weird about my setup is that I have a bay gas tank, and a 12 volt bay sending unit.

sammie smith wrote:
Well, I have to agree with Eric on that one: at least to a limited extent. I have two 6V busses converted to 12 both running 6V gas gauges. Have never had a problem, yet. Had a 63 SC that I restored back in the early 90s, converted to 12V and ran a 6V gas gauge and drove it often for about a year till I sold it. No problems.

*/Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    I have a 6V gauge running on a 12Volt system.
    My gauge reads correctly, I swear!

    Will Wood wrote:
    > Nope, if you have a 6V gauge you can step it down with a simple
    ceramic resistor from 12V. It's
    > not the cleanest way, but it works. That's the way I set them up.
    >
    > There are guys out there who swear that they can runa 6V gauge
    on 12V
    > but it doesn't work.

    might have some 6v wiring and relays, switches, etc. or it might
    be wired up wrong.

    >> rick

    When I turn on the lights the needle instantly pegs past full. Any
    ideas as to what is wrong?