[tcb] Re: Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:04:15 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

Listening to the original London cast recording of The Rocky Horror Picture
Show! and trying to get some work done on this damn mail server between
customer calls.

Also making the final decision to pay someone to finalize the "grunt work"
on the Rivi and calling around to find a mechanic who's local.

The grinding *IS* a rear wheel bearing. Gets all angry sounding when I trun
left (or even sway left changing lanes). Sounds OK driving straight or
turning right.

The brake pedal slowly drops to the floor after it's been held a while.
Haven't driven it enough to determine if that's a leak somewhere, a master
cylinder problem, or a bad (swelling) rubber line.

I've started making a 700 mile (one way) commute on my days off to see Mom
in Alabama so my own time to work on the Rivi is now officially
nonexistant.

I'm going to order parts today for delivery next week. I'll talk to the guy
that's gonna do the work about what it's going to cost me next week when i
get back from Alabama because I have to be back Thursday to drive Dad to
the doctor and I'll have the afternoon off -- I usually get home at 1 or 2
am the day I have be back at work (at 7).

I think I'll have him replace all 4 rubber brake lines. Master cylinder.
All 4 wheel cylinders. All wheel bearings front and rear. Install the Koni
shocks set to mid-stiffness.

Depending on parts cost I may have him replace the tie rods too. Just a
basic, nearly complete, suspension/steering/brake refurb.

Same stuff I already did to the '74 BEFORE I decided to take it apart for a
groud-up custom/resto (which I have no idea when I'll be able to start --
10+ year project I suppose).

Gerald