[tcb] Re: Crickets...Crickets...Crickets...

  • From: Neil McGlothin <nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:56:24 -0700 (PDT)

Ahhh, Uruah Heep...I LOVED Magician's Birthday...one
of my favorite albums to listen to when I'm ......, er
ah, sorry spaced out there.
--- "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Now Prince "Hits" is playing (followed by Marilyn
> Manson, Evenescence, and
> Uriah Heep albums) and I've spent $244.45 + $36
> shipping on parts.
>
> 211405645K X2     Bearing kit - rear
> 211501287K X2     Bearing kit - front
> D195A                      Front pads
> 17178R                    Rear brake hardware kit
> 211611021AABR   Master cylinder (the cheap one
> <sigh>)
> 13020                       Front brake hardware kit
> 211611047F X2      Rear wheel cylinder
> 211425021A            Steering damper
>
> $244.45 + $36 shipping
>
> Hope the mechanic is reasonable with his charges.
> This is all gonna be
> "pain in the ass" type work. The parts will be here
> by Thursday and he
> works on VWs at home on the weekends so I'm crossing
> my fingers he can have
> it done before I get off work at midnight the 15th.
> If I drive it around
> town some that Monday morning (the 16th) and it
> feels good I'll make the
> 700 mile trip to Alabama the break in cruise.
>
> He's a certified Air Cooled VW mechanic who started
> at a dealership. Went
> on to work for a local VW shop. They got out of VW's
> a few years ago and
> switched to high $$$ hot rods but he's still there
> and if you call them for
> VW work they just page him out of the garage.
>
> I guess I'll make a list of the order I want things
> done just in case he
> can't do it all by Sunday.
>
> Rear wheel bearings
> Rubber brake lines
> Rear wheel cylinders & Master Cylinder
> (only if replacing the lines doesn't fix the
> leakdown problem -- tool box
> spares if the rubber lines solves it)
> Front pads
> Shocks
> Steering Damper (I've had one go out while driving
> -- scary)
>
> Of course it may be easier to do the shocks at the
> same time as the rubber
> lines etc. etc. I just want to make sure the
> bearings and brakes get done.
>
> Damn I'm tired. 3000 miles for a campout 3 times a
> year is no problem
> because it's usually done on a 3 or 4 day turnaround
> between arriving and
> heading home -- 1400 miles a week with a one or two
> day turnaround sucks.
>
> Gerald
>
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 16:04:15 -0500 (Central Standard
> Time) Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
>
> > Listening to the original London cast recording of
> The Rocky Horror
> > Picture
> > Show! and trying to get some work done on this
> damn mail server between
> > customer calls.
> >
> > Also making the final decision to pay someone to
> finalize the "grunt
> > work"
> > on the Rivi and calling around to find a mechanic
> who's local.

> [...]

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If
you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've
never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop
thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in
which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater
than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Yahoo! Mail