[tcb] Re: Camping

  • From: Steve Chamberlain <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:30:44 -0600

For all of you that enjoy the Texas State Parks here is a suggestion of what
you can do and remember we never had this conversation:

For the record, I am speaking as your daughter, not a state employee.

TPWD is looking at at 25% (or more) budget cut. That will likeley include
the closure of 5-7 parks. Many parks do not pay for themselves in user fees.
However, several studies have been made that show that parks contribute
substantially to local economies, which does in a sense help them pay for
themselves. It is likely that the parks that do regularly turn a revenue
will not be targeted for closure. However, with the political decision to
not raise taxes, substantial cuts will be made to all forms of government in
a political effort to decrease government.

The best thing you can do as a Texan is to communicate with your state
legislators about what is important to you. I have friends who work for some
of these decision makers and have heard time and time again how a small few
can influence decisions. Write a letter talking about the parks you use and
why they are important to you. Give your representative a call and tell them
not to close your park. Remember, politics is a contact sport.

Thanks for your interest in protecting our open spaces.