[taos-glug] Re: incremental optimization

  • From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: taos-glug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:46:21 -0700 (PDT)

> But are you really saying that you would compile from within Scheme?
> I guess there must be ways to do it.

I'm saying, assuming that you were writing a compiler in scheme, and you
had an optimization step.  I do not actually know of any compilers in
scheme, although it would make a great compiler implementation language
(in fact, the data structure used by GCC internally is actually
scheme-based, it's called RTL (for register-transfer language).

> But maybe you're alluding to something more, maybe a sort of dynamic
> generation, compilation, and execution of code?   Or am I reading
> more into your words than you intend?

Yes, I was merely referring to the possibility of writing a compiler in
scheme.

> But if not, then isn't this to sort of thing that would be better
> done in a 'make' file or a shell script?

This would be done on the intermediate output of your compiler, so it
probably wouldn't make sense to do it w/ Makefiles, since they only deal
with finalized object code.

Jon