[taos-glug] Re: Courant & Robbins; I'm also enjoying Chapter 2, atleast . . .

  • From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: taos-glug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

> . . . so far.   But I skipped the entire section on interval arithmetic
> and especially Ex. 2.16, in view of the authors' warning).

It ends up it's harder than I thought.  My plan was to break it up into a
"centerpoint" and "tolerance" value (expressed as a percentage) and a
list consisting of the entire history of intervals used to make this one.
When performing an operation, the tolerance would only be manipulated if
you are introducing a new interval which had not participated in that
history.  The problem is that addition and multiplication modify
tolerances in different ways, and I'm not sure how to account for that.

Jon