[taos-glug] Courant & Robbins; I'm also enjoying Chapter 2, at least . . .

  • From: Philip Ansteth <pansteth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: taos-glug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:49:55 -0600

. . . so far.   But I skipped the entire section on interval arithmetic
and especially Ex. 2.16, in view of the authors' warning).

I enjoyed, by the way, Exercise 2.5, where you have to represent pairs
as integers.

It reminded me of an interesting chapter in a book called "What Is Mathematics?"
by Courant and Robbins.

In that book, there is a description of Cantor's proofs of the "denumerability"
on the
"rational" numbers, and the "non-denumerability" of the "real" numbers.

Some of the other chapters of that book also seem to me to related to topics
in SICP, for example the "continued fractions" of Exercise 1.37.