[talks-uk] Re: new phone recommendation?

  • From: "Val Brown" <valerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:18:38 -0000

I had exactly the same conversation with Orange last evening with, I fear,
the same result.  They did suggest visiting an Orange shop or independent
retailers like Phones for you and The Car Phone Warehouse.  In the end I
went on Ebay and put in "N86" and it came up with an amazing number of
phones, both locked and unlocked.  My N82 too is beginning to show its age -
the battery refused to charge and I've had to replace that and now the
handset is being a bit iffy so I'm actually wondering whether its the
handset rather than the battery.  I suppose if you particularly want another
N82, Ebay might be the place.

Be interested to know which model you go for.  All Orange seem to be
offering are the N97 and N97 mini (whatever they are) and I don't know
whether the KNFB Reader would work on them - be interested for some views
from list users.  The other thing with the N97 etc. is whether they have
keys rather than the "wonderful" touch screen - are VI's being gradually
eased out of the mobile market!

Someone did tell me about a touch screen phone which VI's could memorise the
key positions but that sounds like hard work - that's almost in the realms
of the rubber overlay which Humanware puts over the Trekker PDA.

Regards

Val.

  _____