[talks-uk] Re: careful when buying memory cards

  • From: Graham Wilkins <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:48:34 +0000

It is surprising how cheap you can buy some cards now, and I have had no problems with the ones I have bought cheaply so far. But one thing to watch out for is whether the card is fast enough. Nowadays you have "standard" speed cards and high speed cards of varying speeds. this can make a big difference if you are using them in digital recorders, cameras etc.. If your card is too slow, it can take much longer for your device to save the data once it has been captured, and/or be slow to bring it up again. Probably not a problem for general phone use, but for using something like an Edirol digital sound recorder, or high-pixel camera, it can make a difference. But you can still get fast cards cheaply too! I recently bought a 1Gb Kingston 40x SD card for £17 including postage.

Graham W

On 12/02/2007 11:35:18, Graham Page (gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
Hi all.

I recently bought a Nokia N73 and was dissapointed to find no memory card
with it.

I looked in a couple of local mobile phone shops and was quoted £20 for a
512MB Mini SD card and £35 for a 1GB mini SD card.

I thought this looked a bit expensive so went online and found a 1GB mini
SD card for £10.26 including delivery and vat from www.choicestationery.
com

I ordered the card on Wednesday and I must admit it arrived today so it
did take a little while to get here. I am sure there are other places
online as well where you can get this card for a similar price. The card
is made by Kingston so it should be OK.

I realise that some things do cost more in shops than online but never the
less, the prices being charged by some of these mobile phone shops are an
outrage when I can get a card delivered to my door for less than a third
of the price than the one I pay from a mobile phone shop.

Regards

graham

Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493