When I was Director I had DBS purchase technology to be placed in each district office and each lighthouse so clients could see and try out equipment before choosing the one that served their needs best. Unfortunately, this practice was discontinued and the equipment seems to have disappeared. Clients need to have choice, but that choice needs to be informed choice, which can't happen unless the client is able to know what is available and to be able to try it out before choosing. Craig
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Wed, 22 May 2013 12:44:33 -0400Subject: [tabi] Re: Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
This is another thing which just kills me; these lighthouses are so small they don�셳 even try to support more than one vendor in any area, or do any sort of meaningful comparisons between vendors, and constantly keep that up to date, because their person is so busy. If clients went through a large state agency (such as DBS) there is at least some chance they could hire enough people they would be able to offer support on many vendors�� products, and thus allow the client to have some input as to the equipment and products they receive.
ChipFrom: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Easy Talk
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:32 PM To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [tabi] Re: Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
Most of the clients that get equipment went through a lighthouse and the ones that don't didn't. In fact the lighthouses recommend the technology and vendor it is purchased from. In fact some preferred benders do the evaluation and provide the equipment. and in about 99 percent of the recommendations made by lighthouses are products they use and know. for example very few lighthouses train on window-eyes, NVDA I phones and android devices. Not to mention all the cool apps for iphone and android. Still Jaws openbook zoom text Braille note and that is what blind
people get for all that money.If anyone on there boards try to affect change or rock the boat, they don't last long or get tired of fighting a yes board and resign or don't seek re-appointment.
Robert Robert ----- Original Message ----- From: Chip and Allie Orange <mailto:acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:01 PMSubject: [tabi] Re: Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
Yes Wendy, that�셲 crazy; lighthouses get paid a bonus for doing their job which they are already being paid for?
That money could easily buy the client all the assistive technology they could reasonably need to get going in a new job; tell me, will DBS buy clients all the assistive tech they need for a new job (in the past I have heard not; that it�셲 very difficult to get your needed equipment). If that�셲 the case, maybe they should give the bonus money to the client to help get started.
ChipFrom: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of wendy.hoss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:31 PM To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [tabi] Re: Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
The lighthouse here got that money from my case this year and did nothing to help me. G-d and I got my job for me while the lighthouse did nothing but take the money and run, I could have used that money myself.
_____ From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:49:17 AMSubject: [tabi] Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
癤� ----- Original Message ----- From: Easy Talk <mailto:Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:40 AMSubject: Fw: [fcb-l] Fw: [tabi] Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
Wendy you are so on target. To strengthen your point, out of over 730 clients that were sent to lighthouses last year only 12 were gainfully employed not to mention the millions in contracts it cost the state. DBS could just give the money to the clients and not have to worry about them again. For the 12 who were employed the lighthouses receive an additional $5,400 if the employment last 90 days above all the money they receive for actual training. Sure wish I could get a contract like that.
. Robert ----- Original Message ----- From: Easy Talk <mailto:Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:47 AMSubject: [fcb-l] Fw: [tabi] Re: Fw: president's report at fcb convention
----- Original Message ----- From: wendy.hoss@xxxxxxxxxxx To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 6:31 PMSubject: [tabi] Re: Fw: [fcb-l] president's report at fcb convention
Robert,Well said and I agree. It is my personal opinion that FAASB and the Lighthouses be excluded from the hiring process altogether. It is so unethical that those who stand gain financially from their friend getting hiring, should even participate. Money, that is what this whole situation is all about, the Lighthouses want to continue their overthrow of DBS and continue to become wealthy from taxpayer dollars which are supposed to be used to assist citizens with blindness to become employed. As evidenced by the last FAASB cronie to become director FAASB and the Lighthouses do not care about the good of citizens with blindness, they just want a friend that will keep the fat contracts coming. Is there a method for impeaching Mr Edwards, if so I encourage the board to move forward with that option. Also, I think we should all send letters to the governor denouncing his demands. Although, I must say that I would support a request that current DBS employees not be considered as most of those in the state office were promoted or brought on by Joyce and can therefore, not be trusted. I would support Craig in his application for the job, while he may have been a supporter of NFB at least you knew where he was coming from, seemed to operate ethically, and you knew he supported the consumers.
Wendy _____ From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:18:19 PM Subject: [tabi] Fw: [fcb-l] president's report at fcb convention ----- Original Message ----- From: Easy Talk <mailto:Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:43 PM Subject: [fcb-l] president's report at fcb conventionLet me start by saying my remarks are solely my opinion and that I am not currently a member of FCB and hopefully my remarks will help you all understand why I am not.
1. In Paul's message this morning it is absolutely clear that Paul made a decision on his own with out consulting the Executive committee or board in regards to his demands to the governors office for the requirements for hiring a new director of DBS To the best of my knowledge. And since FCB is suppose to be a democratic organization , he is promoting his own political agenda. In all my years of involvement with FCB I have never seen or never made such a decision with out approval from the board or at least the executive committee while I was president regarding such an important issue.
Hopefully Paul's demands outlined below will help you understand where I am coming from.
1. The new director can not be a former employ who held a higher level position in DBS. As many of you know Craig Kiser has applied for the directors position and if this demand is implemented, it would exclude Craig and is intended to do exactly that. I am not sure if you all are aware but Craig has attempted to contact Paul via Email and phone to talk to him and ask for FCB's support of which Mr. Edwards has not responded. What gives him the right to not bring Craig's request to FCB? Answer, his own political agenda. In the past this has never been a request of FCB.
2. The new director can not be a current employ of DBS. See number 3. In all FCB's dealings with the hiring decision of a director, this demand has never been a requirement and I have no idea what the purpose of this demand means except it is designed to insure that a FAASB applicant has a better chance and is meant to get the position. I say this because roomer has it that a director of one of the larger Lighthouses has applied for the position and is supposedly being supported by FCB FAASB and NFBF leaders such as there presidents and not necessarily the majority of what there members have decided or want.
Were you ask or did you have any input? Why should Faasb be included in the final decision since they negotiate contracts between the Lighthouses and DBS, sounds like a conflict of interest to me. Why didn't mar. Edwards exclude current or former directors of Lighthouses since they are the reason we have the current mess we have, yet excludes DBS former and current employs of dbs since these individuals may be some of the most experienced applicants in the blindness field For example Edward Hudson who did an excellent job during the town hall meeting. I have no idea if he is interested in the job but if he is should not be excluded by Mr. Edwards own agenda.
Edward got right to the point and addressed the important issues and demonstrated his years of experience as director of the center in Daytona.
3. FCB will not except a general administrator as the new director and the successful applicant must have experience in serving the needs of the blind.
IN the past FCB has never required the director to be blind but has strongly encouraged this practice and personally I am for the most qualified person but this means FCB is willing to except a sighted director, and what better pool of applicants than directors of Lighthouses who are members of FAASB. Here again, this is to open the door for Paul's own agenda with out consideration from FCB. How does a organization of the blind exclude certain blind individuals yet opens the door for FAASB lighthouse directors?
4. Later on in the business meeting, Mr. Edwards took grate pains to say how Florida was different than other states in the fact that major consumer organizations and FAASB were in agreement and wanted the same things, My question to you all is, Do you know what FAASB's, FCB and NFBF's position really is, have you seen an official statement from any of these organizations? Has FCB really made an official statement and had proper input to represent the actual majority of it's members. I don't think so. If we allow this to continue, Is FCB really affective?
I certainly hope the Governors office is more affective than to allow such ridiculous demands made by Mr. Edwards to govern there hiring practices and hope that FCB members stand up and not allow this political sabotage to occur. It is my intention as a blind citizen to send this message to the governor's office and under the current conditions, I encourage you if you agree to do the same.
I joined The Florida Council OF The Blind not The Paul Edwards Council FOR The blind. Now I am not a member of either. When are you members going to take back the organization you formed 60 years ago.
I am not at this time going to go in to other issues that affected my decision to no longer be a member of FCB and I know some of you and Mr. Edwards is aware of my concerns However they seem to still be his style of administration.
Very sad Robert _____ _______________________________________________ fcb-l mailing list fcb-l@xxxxxxx http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/fcb-l _____ _______________________________________________ fcb-l mailing list fcb-l@xxxxxxx http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/fcb-l Check out the TABI resource web page at http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI and please make suggestions for new material. if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org web interface, or by sending an email to the address tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.