[sugpro] Re: Brown Iron Oxide

  • From: steve ghioto <ssmgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 23:26:02 -0400

Shawn,
If I remember correctly my graphite nozzles were straight bore with no exit
cone. I believe the pressure was near 1100 psi at max thrust using a Cf of 1
and a throat area of .060 square inch.
Steve,
the BrIO was Sakrete cement color in a 1 lb box  purchased at Lowes, probably
the same that Richard use.
Steve G

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 21:31:36 -0400
From: shawn.mchatten@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sugpro] Re: Brown Iron Oxide

Hi Steve

  I may have been the one that asked, since I am interested. Richard did quite
a study on the different variants of Iron oxide and his tests were consistent
with yours. The BrIO definitely enhances the burn rate. Good to know. Any idea
what pressure your motor was producing. IIRC Richard saw increases right
through 500psi and more.

thanks

Shawn

On 2015-03-08 20:05, steve ghioto wrote:

Hi guys,

On the archive list from last June I noticed a few posts concerning BrIO as a
burn rate enhancer and if any follow up work had been done on the issue. Well I
did a few motor test in June of 2012 with 1% BrIO and KNDX using single 54mm
bates style grains at a max Kn of 200. The grains were appx 180 grams, the
enhanced grain had 1.8 grams of BrIO added. The attachment shows the results
and a comparison of the two thrust curves. So there's definitely something
going on here. Any thoughts or questions?

Steve Ghioto

Formula  65% KN 35% DX monohydrate  (not adjusted)
Length 3.00 "
Diameter 1.77 "
Bore  .75"
Nozzle size .277"