[studiorecorder] Re: normalization

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:23:22 -0400

Larry:

1. You can't use normalize to remove distortion. Once its in there, its
way too late.

2. You could try normalizing all of the music to a particular level,
usually 0dB. This makes the music as loud as possible without clipping.
If it still doesn't sound the same from track to track, the dynamics
vary quite a bit from track to track, and this is the problem. There are
ways to attack this, but they are a bit more involved.

Rob Meredith

>>> larjo1@xxxxxxxxxxx 06/28/06 12:50AM >>>
Two questions please:
1.  Can I use the "normalize" command to reduce distortion on a
recording?
If so, what setting should I use?

2.  If I have a set of music tracks and I want them all to be at the
same
volume level, is there a way (other than just by listening) to "know"
the
volume level of each track?

Thanks, Larry