[studiorecorder] Re: all I can say is, thank you all, unfortunately!

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:32:14 -0500

Hi,

Obviously you want to get all your notebooks and tapes converted over to digital format. I totally understand that, I'd want to do the same thing! However, if what you really want to do is preserve that material in case of a natural disaster, you need to keep in mind that, if you have them all at home and your home catches fire or floods, the digital copies are going to be pretty much as useless as your physical copies, so you'll still be left with nothing, and all that hard work will have been for naught. In the case of a hard drive crash, yes, ordinary backups in the same place are enough, since you can just restore from one. But in the case of a natural disaster, theft, etc. what you really need to insure your digital data lives on is an off-site backup. Store a copy in another building. Bonus points if your off-site backup is in a different part of the country.

As for throwing away the physical originals, obviously, be very sure you won't need them in the future. If you have a hard drive crash, never backed up, but you do still have the physical originals, even though it's a lot of work, you can redo all those transfers to get the data back. If not, you can't, and all that stuff is gone forever. Also, if you later discover a problem with your transfers, for example, you had a stereo tape you accidentally recorded in mono, having access to the originals would let you fix those problems.
Just a few thoughts.
Jayson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Brown" <wd8oep2464@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>