[studiorecorder] Re: Something on my wish list

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:01:24 -0400

Neal:

In short, if you open an MP3 file, it is expected that you are, infact,
working with an MP3 file, and MP3 files cannot be edited. So, even
though it is decoded, and the data could be edited, if you saved, you
would either have to reencode, or save the wave data as an MP3 file;
neither is a good option. So, we just can't let you do that. It would be
kind of like opening a Word file but word always saving it as .rtf or
something like that, not good!

It appears that my pitch of "Just use Save As" is not much liked. That
really is the best way at the moment. If you insist, you could choose to
create a new document and just insert the MP3 file. As long as the
sample rates match, this will work, and you can begin editing
immediately after decoding.

We are considering adding an open as .wav file option. I don't
personally like it much; there are issues. But, since people on this
list seem to want this option, we should probably give it a look.

Rob Meredith

>>> neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/16/06 10:56AM >>>
Oh dear, he's back again.  Well, I do have one question.

Rob, if I open an MP3 file in Wave View, it says it is decoding the
file.  Why then, is this still a read only file.  What more would have
to be done to make such a file able to be edited rather than getting
the
message that this is a read only file?  OK, that's all for today.
Well,
perhaps I will think of something later.

Neal Ewers
Ravenswood Productions
Local phone:  608-277-1995
Toll Free:  888-544-8332