Re: [steem] Strange suggestion

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:20:32 +0100

Hi,

> And these are my strange suggestions:
> - Would it be possible to include an option for making Steemm to respond
> the Keyboard keys from the real OS, for example for making a Windows o
Linux
> software to do something (responding to the key pressed) at the same time
> the Atari Software inside Steem and viceverse?. It would be interesting
for
> some live performances.

It would be possible for Steem to get all key presses whatever window is
focussed, but it would difficult, do you really think it would be that
useful?

> - Would be possilble to add a macro recorder able to control movementes of
> the mouse to be managed  in this way (assigning them to the  PC  keys?) .
It
> would be usefull for making a rack computer that can be controlled with
some
> keys to do whatever you want with your Atari Midi Stuff, asiggning the
mouse
> movements, and showing you the options selected in a LCD, very easy if we
> can read teh key in the Stemm and in the native OS at the same time (to
> control an LCD display is verey easy), you can work without CRT, Mouse,
Hard
> Disk and Floppy if you have this running in an autoboot IsoLinux CD. It
> would ve a very good Midi Tool for experimental music.

I'm not sure this would be very useful, most ST software uses the mouse in
relative mode, so to actually get the position of the cursor on the screen
is difficult. This also means that any movements in a macro would be
relative to where the mouse starts, that could be anywhere on the screen. It
is possible with most software (by sending enough up and left messages so
the cursor starts at 0,0 before recording/replaying the macro), but it
wouldn't work for everything and it would be quite slow.

Interesting ideas though, maybe some people can think of better ways to
implement them than I can.

Russ

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/