Re: [steem] Organizing the Atari scene

  • From: "Edouard Lombard" <edouard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:36:50 +0100

Hi Russell, I'm glad you reacted to my suggestion. You said it yourself:
there is too much information and only a few people maintaining the =
sites.
But finding a way to organize the interface with the public can't be as =
hard
as creating content. The emulators are there (thanks to you), the =
software
is there, and the technical knowledge is dispersed throughout the =
Internet
(forums for instance). But we know that forums make the information hard =
find unless the message has been posted recently, and there is only one
forum with all the people. That's why letting everyone contribute to a =
site
is not enough, because it would result in a forum- or blog- type of =
site,
and the information would be hard to find for beginners. As in technical
manuals, the information must be compiled by experts and put in a sorted =
and
accessible way. The initiative has to come from somewhere, and it must =
be
handled the same way as a professional project if it wants a chance to
succeed. Of course, the main problem with such a fusion attempt in the =
Atari
world would be the relationship with the holders of intellectual =
properties.
It offers a single entity to attack for these people, and as you know, =
you
must divide to reign. So is it worth it to organize the Atari scene? If =
most
of you think so, I'd be willing to take an active part in it.

Edouard Lombard