Re: [steem] Atari Questionnaire ... excuse me , going offtopic

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steem Discussion" <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:32:04 -0000

Hi Joao,

> now that you talk on such "perfect" emulation , i´ll take a one
> more moment to share ... everytime i load up Steem , there´s
> only one thing i allways wonder about , is its sound emulation
> ... i´ve notest that there are 3 possible sound configurations
> at the "Output Type" option , and if i´m not mistaken the
> "Direct" one is the one that makes Steem sound best ...
> the only machine where i can have Steem installed is a
> Pentium200mhz , and my biggest preocupation all the time is not
> to get the perfect sound emulation , since i really don´t know
> exacly how an Atari sounds like , but to get its best sound
> performance . I´ve tried various configurations , and i had
> already Steem running perfectly on this P200 with some
> configuration that was lost , because it looks to me that Steem
> doesn´t "store" some of "user configurations" ...
> if not its asking to much , could you Edouard or any SteemEr :)
> help me on some i sould be attentious ?

This is very confusing, basically it comes down to whether you want to hear
what the ST was attempting to produce or what the average ST user would
hear. The vast majority of STs were hooked up to TVs or had dodgy speakers,
this meant that the output was muffled slightly, with the way the ST
produces sound this can make quite a difference. As PC's almost always have
good speakers "Direct" mode can cause some tunes to sound tinny and shrill.
That is why we have "ST Speaker Emulation", that muffles the sound like bad
speakers and can make some sounds much better.

Of course if your PC speakers or your sound card aren't that good then you
can get the muffling effect with "Direct" mode, so I'm afraid I can't tell
which mode would be most accurate for you.

Hope that helps,
Russ

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/