[stamp] Re: Database entry

  • From: Ryan McElroy <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:08:14 -0800

Honestly, yes, as I am somewhat slammed right now.ut I can still try to get it done, I was hoping to minimize the time it would take me to do it though.

What I did in the app I made last year was to fail quickly. Ie, if anything was ever going to be in a bad state, I just didn't input any information, then I planned to use phpMyAdmin to fix up any really bad mess ups. However, this year's app is considerably more controlled, so I don't think the same design paradigm will work. What I am wondering about is how do we handle the edge cases?

I guess I'm also wondering about the whole way the input works. So yeah.

Anyway, advice would be appreciated.

~Ryan

Erik Thulin wrote:

Ryan, do you want one of the other coders to write the interfacing code between the input and the database?

 - Erik

On 2/7/06, *Ryan McElroy* <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think there is something about the overall design of this app that I
    am not understanding. When the match input page comes up, is it
    supposed to be filled with the last version of the match info
    submitted? If we want that to happen dynamically, someone with more
    (ie, any) AJAX experience should probably do it.

    Also, what do we want to happen when we submit? Overwrite whatever is
    there with the stuff just submitted, or try to intelligently figure
    out what should be updated (ie, things with zeros should not be
    updated?)... I guess the crucial question is is there single-computer
    input or multi-computer input for a single match? If the latter, how
    are we dealing with inconsistencies?

    Stephen, I haven't taken a look at your database classes, and I don't
    have any experience using things of the sort (I'm more of a PHP hacker
    than a PHP programmer). So, I'd like your opinion on how helpful you
    think they will be in this case, and perhaps the best way to use them
    (maybe a mini-tutorial?)

    Thanks,

    ~Ryan

--
Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is licensed under a:
Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License. CreativeCommons.org