[ssug-malappuram] [MES-FSUG] Towards a Hack CAMP on Project GNU Radio.

  • From: Musfir Mohammed <mohammed.musfir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsug <mes-fsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:37:04 +0530

Hi all

It is long since we had any noise from MES FSUG. Being a student of ECE I
happened to use a couple of Simulation tools and Softwares of which are
Simulink, Labview etc. I happened to come across a very useful and
wonderful tool called GNU RADIO which comes under the Software Defined
radio project,
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio ) attending a
workshop at Amrita, Coimbatore. Rakesh sir whom I have copied is one person
who has much idea on this.

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki

The above tool is far different from the current simulation tools as it
calls for a replacement of many of the bulky and expensive hardware in  the
form of a software and a PC
The tool allows us to add custom blocks into the existing system thus
enhancing its scope and utiility
An example of a project is using GNURADIO is the open BTS project
http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

It would be of great impact to the students here if we could try to get
into the contribution of new blocks by using python code so that we can
implement various useful tools like the whose source code is available to
us. The signal processing blocks of the existing system are written in C++
and work on Python.

Some of the members here have tried out to solve this problem here. I think
it would be virtuous for us as well as the future batches to introduce them
to this venture. As part of this I would like to propose an idea of a
BLOCKSET Creation camp whereby we could try out building some prototype in
Python so that we could mobilize the venture.

Every piece of contribution is valuable in this venture as it is a
promising solution to the grave scenario that exists today. Lack of proper
tools for educational and industrial purposes  at economically viable
condition.

This project calls for people of expertise in Electronics and Communication
engineering and Computer Science. Kindly look into this matter and put
forth your suggestion.

--
Thanking You
Musfir Mohammed