[ssug-malappuram] Re: [MES-FSUG] On Tar.gz

  • From: Sajith N <sajith.nallithodi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:53:35 +0530

Thanks Ershad for the detailed explanation!

Now some binaries can also get shipped as tar.gz images (e.g. JRE/ JDK) . In
that case, extract the contents as superuser (root) to a directory that can
be accessed by every user, (e.g. /usr/local or /opt) following the steps
given below and perhaps add the path to the bin directory (usually where
executables of that software can be found) to the environment variable PATH.

If you're using the bash shell Ubuntu/ Debian/ Mint, edit /etc/bash.bashrc
(on Fedora/ RHEL/ Mandriva it's /etc/bashrc) and the following lines

PATH=<PATH TO YOUR BIN>:$PATH
export PATH

where <PATH TO YOUR BIN> is the path to the bin of the respective software.

Now the application can be run from the shell or from the ALT+F2 gnome
application launcher.

-Sajith

--
Warm Regards,