[sparkscoffee] Re: [aranet] Re: The Internet Is About to Become Worse Than Television

  • From: R George <xgeorge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: aranet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 09:30:37 -0700

Unless Yahoo and AOL discontinue DMARC then mailing list subscribers using Yahoo or Aol will be automatically UN-subscribed in most cases. I would suggest changing to another email provider. I use my ISP's email mainly because I don't like web-based email programs. I recommend and use this free email software - http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

RG

It's happening, according to email expert John Levine, because Yahoo & AOL implemented a change that basically tells all recipients, including Hotmail, Gmail, etc., to reject any mail originating from a Yahoo.com or AOL.com address if it fails certain tests. In this case, the test is that the sender email address domain must match the domain of the server actually sending the email --- which isn't necessarily the case if people use mailing lists or other software to send email for them, rather than using the Yahoo.com or Aol.com
STMP servers themselves.

So, the problem applies to anyone using a Yahoo.com or Aol.com sending address to participate in a mailing list that uses other servers.

In a discussion on the Internet Engineering Task Force's email list --- the IETF is a non-profit body that sets Internet technological standards --- Levine said that this method of email authentication, called DMARC, works well for some situations, such as for large enterprises:

For other kinds of mail it works less great, because like every mail security system, it has an implicit model of the way mail is delivered that is similar but not identical to the way mail is actually delivered.... Mailing lists are a particular weak spot for DMARC. Lists invariably use their own bounce address in their own domain, so the SPF [sender policy framework] doesn't match.

On 5/1/2014 9:10 AM, R George wrote:
I ran across this a few minutes ago and will do more digging.
RG

Yahoo & AOL introduced a feature (DMARC) this week that basically says "If a message has a yahoo.com or aol.com email address as the FROM address, and it didn't come from a Yahoo.com server, then it's not acceptable." This is
causing a LOT of problems with mailing lists.

On 5/1/2014 8:50 AM, (Redacted sender Sblumen123@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
RG
Also I don't know where dmarc-noreply@f <mailto:dmarc-noreply@f>... comes from???
CB