[sparkscoffee] Re: Favors and Loot for Sale

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Sblumen123@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 15:55:17 -0400

RR
Again, profitism before patriotism.

Comrade B

In a message dated 9/10/2014 2:07:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ristad@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Kelly,
We've discussed the Keystone pipeline already. The part of  the Keystone
pipeline that EXPORTS U.S. oil and gas from the Oklahoma hub to  the Gulf
Coast opened last year without opposition. It's already a done deal.  The part
of the Keystone pipeline that Obama opposes is the northern section  that
IMPORTS oil and gas from Canada.

The reason Obama opposes it?  Because Canadian oil and gas is brought into
the U.S. by railroad tank cars  that are owned by Warren Buffet, one of
Obama's biggest campaign contributors.  Rail tank car accidents have caused far
more environmental damage than  pipelines ever have so it's not an
environmental issue.

The argument  used against opening the Keystone pipeline from Canada that
it will cause  higher gasoline prices in the U.S. is that the oil and gas
that is currently  being imported will simply pass through Oklahoma and go to
the Gulf Coast but  that doesn't make sense since Canadian oil and gas are
already being imported  into the U.S..

An argument that makes more sense is that opening the  northern section of
the pipeline would mean the Canadian oil and gas would  compete against
domestic oil companies. It would lower the price that  producers of U.S. oil
and
gas could charge because Canadian oil and gas is  cheaper.

The fracking boom we keep hearing about is suspect. I  think the only
reason it happening is due to the rising stock market as a  result of Fed money
printing. Banks who can borrow money at 0% interest and  gullible investors
rush in to supply the capital to drill the fracking wells  and there is an
immediate return but, unlike conventional oil wells, fracked  wells deplete
very rapidly. The fracking boom is really just a Ponzi Scheme  that will turn
into a big bust for both investors and the U.S. economy when  the money runs
out and the wells run dry and the banks and investors are left  with
worthless shares in dry wells.

But hey, Warren Buffer will be  crying all the way to the bank.

 Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:15:36 -0600
From: ristad@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:  sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sparkscoffee] Favors and Loot for  Sale

The Founding Fathers  were not unaware that "times change." But in the
whirlwind of life they saw  that reason and experience could and had
demonstrated that there were  unchanging qualities to the human condition,
grounded in
the fundamental  political idea of individual rights.
They understood the various mantles  that tyranny could take on – including
the cloak of false benevolence in the  form of compulsory redistribution of
wealth. They established a  constitutional order that was meant to guard us
from the plunder of violent  and greedy men, while leaving each of us that
wide latitude of personal and  economic freedom in which we could find our
own meanings for life, and adapt  to new circumstances consistent with our
conscience and concerns.
This is  what made America great. This is what made a country in which
individuals  could say without embarrassment or conceit that they were "proud
be  Americans."
- See more at:
http://thedailybell.com/editorials/35634/Richard-Ebeling-Proud-to-be-an-American-What-Should-It-Mean/#sthash.120AKuSg.dpuf
By  _Walter E. Williams_
(http://www.lewrockwell.com/author/walter-e-williams/?post_type=article)

September 9, 2014

During the 2012 presidential campaign, Barack  Obama raised a little over
$1 billion, while Mitt Romney raised a little  under $1 billion.
Congressional candidates raised over $3.5 billion. In  2013, there were 12,341
registered lobbyists and $3.2 billion was spent on  lobbying. During the years
the
Clintons have been in national politics,  they’ve received at least $1.4
billion in contributions, according to Time  magazine and the Center for
Responsive Politics, making them “The First  Family of Fundraising.”

Here are my questions to you: Why do people  and organizations cough up
billions of dollars to line political coffers?  One might answer that these
groups and individuals are simply  extraordinarily civic-minded Americans who
have a deep and abiding interest  in encouraging elected officials to live up
to their oath of office to  uphold and defend the U.S. Constitution.
Another possible answer is that the  people who spend these billions of dollars
on
politicians just love  participating in the political process. If you
believe either of these  explanations for coughing up billions for politicians,
you’re probably a  candidate for psychiatric attention, a straitjacket and a
padded  cell.

A far better explanation for the billions going to the campaign  coffers of
Washington politicians and lobbyists lies in the awesome  government power
and control over business, property, employment and other  areas of our
lives. Having such power, Washington politicians are in the  position to grant
special privileges, extend favors, change laws and do  other things that if
done by a private person would land him in  jail.

The major component of congressional power is the use of the  IRS to take
the earnings of one American to give to another.

The Dow  Chemical Co. posted record lobbying expenditures last year,
spending over  $12 million. Joined by Alcoa, who spent $3.5 million, Dow
supports
the  campaigns of congressmen who support natural gas export restrictions.
Natural gas is a raw material for both companies. They fear natural gas
prices would rise if export restrictions were lifted. Dow and other big  users
of natural gas make charitable contributions to environmentalists who  seek
to limit natural gas exploration. Natural gas export restrictions  empower
Russia’s Vladimir Putin by making Europeans more dependent on  Russian
natural gas.

General Electric spends tens of millions of  dollars lobbying. Part of
their agenda was to help get Congress to outlaw  incandescent light bulbs so
that they could sell their more expensive  compact fluorescent bulbs. It should
come as no surprise that General  Electric is a contributor to global
warmers who helped convince Congress  that incandescent bulbs were destroying
the
planet.

These are just  two examples, among thousands, of the role of money in
politics. Most  concerns about money in politics tend to focus on relatively
trivial matters  such as the costs of running for office and interest-group
influence on  Congress and the White House. The bedrock problem is the awesome
power of  Congress. We Americans have asked, demanded and allowed
congressmen to  ignore their oaths of office and ignore the constitutional
limitations
 imposed on them. The greater the congressional power to give handouts and
grant favors and make special privileges the greater the value of being
able  to influence congressional decision-making. There’s no better influence
than  money.