[sotd] May 27, 2003 [Garbage: How Can My Community Reduce Waste?]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:50:41 -0300

        Site of the Day for Tuesday, May 27, 2003

        Garbage: How Can My Community Reduce Waste?

Today's website, under the auspices of the Annanberg Foundation, offers a
well-designed site providing facts and advice about dealing with trash.
Gentle Members who are embarking on a spring clean-up, may find the website
an interesting source of information on the ever-present problem of waste
management.

"If your habits resemble those of average Americans, you generate about 4
pounds of solid trash per day. . . How can we find ways to meet our current
economic and social needs without compromising the ability of our children,
and our children's children, to do the same? . . . In this exhibit, you can
find out how to improve next year's environmental record. You'll learn how
waste is handled now and how some communities are doing it better. In the
activities, you can test your knowledge about hazardous waste we generate
in our homes and try to shrink a landfill." - from the website

The site explores sewage, solid and hazardous waste along with possible
solutions for dealing with them. Additional sections examine innovative
waste management efforts being implemented in various global regions and
future concerns, along with an excellent listing of further resources.

Wade over to the website for a surprisingly interesting presentation on
garbage at:

http://www.learner.org/exhibits/garbage/intro.html

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>