[sotd] February 24, 2004 [Teeth from Scratch]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:39:20 -0400

        Site of the Day  for Tuesday, February 24, 2004

        Teeth from Scratch

From the always entertaining and informative folks at the "WhyFiles" at the
University of Wisconsin Graduate School, comes this interesting profile of
cooking up new teeth in the lab. Gentle Subscribers with a root canal
appointment in their future or just plain old dental maintenance may enjoy
this peek into what the future may hold for teeth.

"Understanding how teeth buds form in the embryo is helping scientists grow
them in the lab. Are we on our way to being done with dentures? ...  By age
50, the average person has lost 12 teeth, and by 70, half of us are
toothless altogether, according to the National Institutes of Health." -
from the website

This single web page presents the latest scientific work on using a
patient's own stem cells to create new teeth in situ. With expository
diagrams and clear language, the site explains how teeth are formed and how
understanding genetic signals can unlock tissue engineering.

Nip over to the web page for a bite of information about new teeth for old
at:

http://whyfiles.org/shorties/147tooth/index.html

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>