[sotd] February 23, 2004 [Cookbooks 101]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:48:46 -0400

        Site of the Day for Monday, February 23, 2004

        Cookbooks 101

Today's site from professional food photographer and cookbook collector
Heidi Swanson, presents an engaging look at an ongoing journey through the
thousands of recipes the author has acquired over the years. Gentle
Subscribers who may have their own cherished trove of barely used cookbooks
may enjoy this website's narrative of taking them off the shelf and
creating some of the wonderful recipes they contain.

"When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start
cooking. This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time.
... Up until this point I've had a habit of cooking the same twenty
recipes over and over. I seem to buy a new cookbook each time I leave the
house and ... I have drawers full of recipes ... The intent is good, the
follow through bad. ... I decided to make a resolution to stop buying
cookbooks and start trying new recipes. This is a challenge to myself to
cook as many new recipes as possible in the coming months. By writing about
the process I hope to document my successes and failures, discover/keep
track of new recipes, and hopefully inspire other cooks to find new recipes
to enjoy." - from the website

This well-designed, uncluttered site features great photos of the recipes
prepared, along with interesting and helpful notes about each dish.
Currently on view are recipes which range from the fairly simple, yet
irresistible "Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake" to the four hour preparation
marathon of "Triple Citrus Coffee Cake" with a tempting "Fresh Apple Salsa"
sandwiched between. In the archives, the recipes are listed in
chronological order, going back to the site's inception a year ago. The
complete list of the author's cookbook collection is hot-linked to
Amazon.com's buying pages.

Nibble over to the site for an enjoyable tour of one woman's culinary
explorations at:

http://www.heidiswanson.com/recipes/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>