[sopvid] Re: Women with disability statement

  • From: "James Njoroge" <james.njoroge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:40:51 +0300

-----Original Message-----
From: sopvid-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:sopvid-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Paul Mugambi
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2014 9:25 PM
To: sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sopvid] Women with disability statement

 Women's Day Statement

8th March 2014

Nairobi, Kenya

"Equality for Women is progress for all" is the theme of UN 2014
International Women's Day.  African women with disabilities believe
that women empowered will be a Continent empowered.

Reminding all that gender equality is enshrined in the African Union
(AU) Constitutive Act as a guiding principle of the Organisation;

that the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights (the African
Charter), contains progressive provisions on the right to equality and
respect for women's rights;

and that the people of Africa are also guided by the Protocol to the
African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights on the Rights of Women in
Africa (the Maputo Protocol) which specifically embodies all issues
regarding women in the African context.

We,  African women with disabilities, once again want to celebrate a
peaceful, thriving and vibrant Continent where the intrinsic feminine
power of women to nurture and sustain new life is once again
recognized, honoured and valued. The inherent dignity and equality of
women must once again be fully respected so that we can build
sustainable communities and nations in Africa.

We African women with disabilities want effective, accountable,
transparent institutions of governance with adequate representation of
women with disabilities. We want this based on a human rights
framework, gender equality and the right to development.  We want full
inclusion and effective participation in governance, strengthened by
the rule of law, so that a concerted effort to eliminate crimes
against women with disabilities, violence, abuse and exploitation of
women with disabilities can cease.  For this we need equal legal
capacity. Responsive independent justice systems must prevail.

In addition, direct action must be taken to promote gender equality
policies and legislation that is supported by gender disaggregated
data, with clear targets and indicators that are effectively
monitored.

We want the elimination of all harmful cultural practices that sustain
patriarchy and further disable women with disabilities from taking
their rightful place in society. We want traditional indigenous
positive beliefs and practices that do not discriminate against women
protected and promoted.

We want the promotion of equality and full inclusion within
communities, countries and between the global North and South, East
and West. We want peace and recognize that gender equality is the root
action to promote equality and progress for all global citizens.
Inequality destabilizes, leads to conflict and perpetuation of
exploitation and abuse.

We want education for women with disabilities with lifelong
opportunities. We want the means to share our knowledges and skills so
that we can create wealth, joyous and meaningful lives.

We want particular attention paid to the health and wellbeing of women
and girl child with disabilities with action taken that gender
specific issues, such as reproductive rights, are included and
respected in all agenda's.

We want equal access to resources in the economy and communities and
this includes land rights, access to financial institutions and
programmes. We also recognize the importance of life sustaining need
for access to clean water and sanitation especially in situations of
humanitarian disasters where our sisters, brothers and children with
disabilities find themselves refugees and displaced. As we celebrate
today, let us remember them as they are especially affected in this
regard.

We, women with disabilities in Africa believe there can be no
development without human rights and equality of the sexes and there
will be no realization of our universal rights and equality for all
without development. We must have robust democratic institutions of
power, including a strong vocal capacitated civil society networks,
with adequate representation of women with disabilities that will
serve to entrench our universal human right to sustain a peaceful
continent, free of group discriminations, so as to ensure the end of
the devastation of war and conflict and the associated evils of arms
smuggling and manufacture, trafficking of women and children and the
drug trade.

We want to eliminate our current poverty on this Continent, the hunger
of our people, the indignities and dehumanization that the rape by the
slave traders and colonizers of our Continent wrought upon us these
past centuries. Now is the time as we engage in a new vision for the
world post 2015 MDG's,  that the power gap that exists between men and
women must be closed because full equality for all women, including
those with disabilities, will result in the progress necessary to
achieve this new vision of the world we want.

----

[1] DIWA was founded in 2002 so as to empower African Women and Girls
with Disabilities through research, information sharing, networking,
partnership and capacity development for unity in diversity.

On behalf of DIWA http://www.diwa.ws/

--
Watch my latest work on road safety for the blind and persons with
disabilities.

http://t.co/3kFHc7fUam
 and an inspiration song ""never to give up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_dS2qHrbhI&feature=youtu.be&a

Mugambi M. Paul
Disability Rights Practitioner,
Awarded "Champion of disability advocacy in the emergency response
August 2013 by CBM International

www.abilitysounds.blogspot.com

Guest Anchor 15th November 2013 ktnkenya
http://youtu.be/BjznG3JKASM

http://t.co/3kFHc7fUam

  "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of
others."
Mahatma Gandhi

Founder of VIP Family.
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean;

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/fb_share/3626200

"The day you forget that you rock is the day the world rolls all over you."

Skype: shamgpaul1

Twitter  @paulmugambe

E mail shamgpaul@xxxxxxxxx
Mob no. +254 722 231815