[sopvid] Re: AUDIOBOOKS LIBRARY AT KENYA SOCIETY FOR THE BLIND

  • From: Eric Ngondi <eric.ngondi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sopvid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 10:27:43 +0300

Dear Lawrence,
Thank you for highlighting the plight of the Talking Book library. The
library opened a world for me when I thought the world of reading was
over for me and I remember even benefiting from a membership
scholarship put up by you Bwana Lawrence.
1. i wrote a proposal to American Embassy as a YALI Fellow for
equipments to convert the tapes to CDs but unfortunately did not get
the funds. However, i have been refered to the American Library at the
embassy and told that they can help us access their materials from
Talking Book Library if we are members.
2. A contact at USAID is helping in trying to get a link at National
Federation of the Blind - NFB in USA to see if Talking Book can
partner. May be some of you collegues could help fasten this process.
3. Please donate some of those CDs that you have finished enjoying so
that we can increase the content at the Talking Book library.

Kind regards,

On 6/15/15, George Kimani <george99kimani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Let me join in sharing this concern. Personally, I was an ardent listener
of the talking books but sadly this technology is or has been by passed by
events. My suggestion would be an upgrade to bring cd/dvd talking books and
also add more value by including blind friendly movies.
As for the staff the KSB personnel can easily perform this duty. We can use
the same model where these books can be accessed on particular days.
SOPVID might want to discuss this issue further with the management. At the
end of the day we require a homegrown solution to our local issues.
Nb: I apologise for not been able to attend the meeting as I was caught in
an emergency.