[sonarblindbeta] Re: Sonar blind 1.4.0 released

  • From: Chris Belle <chrisbelle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sonarblindbeta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 17:03:22 -0500

Hey, don't want to change the direction if there is a good reason to do this.

But one big problem with caketalking is that it changes the interface too much and doesn't make use of native sonar keys which work just fine.

When navigating around in the bus and track view, you can use bracket keys and plus and minus on the top number row to change values, didn't know if you knew this.

With 69 I can indeed change values with the control and arrow keys, but then I get crazy stuff happening like search, no children, and then it kicks me in to the menus someplace.

So I guess what I'm saying from my limited experience with working with other programmers is that when there's already a good way to do something, making another way only clutters things up and slows down the scripts.

We need access to things that we can't get at, not stuff that's already there.

If I'm talking out of turn,
or there is a good reason to do this, then I'll shut up.

But many power users don't use cake talking because the interface is so bogged down
at first it's great for beginers, but those scripts are so very heavy and out of scope that it's insane.

Now the native keys have changed considerably from 8.5 like the from and through, and
I saw them the other day can't remember what they are,
but why not take advantage of existing keys as much as possible.

That will make the scripts a lot less heavy, and you can concentrate on stuff that doesn't work.

Not trying to tell you how to do your job, I guess I noticed this geting up to speed with the jaws script, and I'd been working in other readers
taking advantage of what's already there.

We definitely want things like selection status of tracks when we hit the comma key,
and the control surface will make querying positional information a lot easier,
it drove me nuts trying to make frames or windows around the positional markers in 8.53 that kept moving around on me, but transport things shouldbe a no brainner going forward once we hook the control surface.
Easy for me to say right?

Anyway, just my thoughts
what do others think, is the overlay grid there for a good reason, and is itreally best or should we use native sonar methods where possible?

I know caketalking users tend to like some of the
overlay stuff, I do like some of it like hitting a layered key to quickly unarm, or unsolo all tracks, but I guess I've gotten so used to working with sonar the native way.

On 4/21/2015 8:32 PM, John Martyn DoItBlind wrote:

This heavily focused on the bus and the control up and down arrows in lists to change the values. So far it was 2 days of work and about 36 hours of scripting.

Download it here

http://www.DoItBlind.com/SonarBlind1.4.0.zip

Cheers,

John