[soe-students] CFP: Plants and Health AAA 2014

  • From: Janelle Baker <janelle.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "soe-students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <soe-students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:09:42 +0000

*Plants & Health: Producing Anthropologies at the Human-Environment-Health
Nexus*

Session Organizer: Liz Olson, PhD (Allegheny College)
eolson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:eolson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This session will showcase current ethnographic accounts of the ways that
people use plants for their health. The case studies may cover themes such
as: food production systems, individual diet and nutrition, cultural food
norms, medicinal plants, and the relevance of plants for mental-social
wellbeing. Authors are welcome to employ diverse analytical frameworks,
examples of which might include: interpretive and constructivist,
political-ecological, and applied or participatory community-based
research. The goal in this session is to highlight some contemporary
examples of how plants are central to various aspects of healthy
environments, healthy minds, and healthy bodies. The ethnographic accounts
of people, plants, and health in this session will be of interest to
medical and environmental anthropologists, applied anthropologists, and
allied disciplines.

*Please email me (Liz Olson) by April 10 with your abstract so that I can
organize the session and complete the session abstract accordingly. *

Best,

Liz