[soapcraft] Request from a Newbie

  • From: "gobyrne" <gobyrne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <soapcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:06:19 +1300

Hi all

Well I've done it !!  I couldn't wait any longer so this weekend made my first
batch of soap!!!   I had been doing a lot of reading and had kept putting off
getting on with it.

I used the recipe that was demonstrated at a recent workshop that I attended in
New Plymouth -
600 gm tallow (I used a block of Kremelta and made up to the 600 gm with lard)
150  ml  olive oil, 500ml water and 150 gm caustic soda.

Raw ingredients are hard to come by in NP.   Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised
with the finished product - it is nice and white and has cut well - I used a
potato peeler to trim the sharp edges.  I should  have used a smaller mold as
the soap is not as deep as I had planned - never mind.   It is now going to be
a long 4 weeks.

Question - what would be a good recipe to try next?  I have "Soap Naturally"
out of the library but would be interested to hear suggestions.
I would like to try adding some essential oil next time although the amount
recommended for the above recipe was 50mls which would work out quite expensive.

Any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pam