[slackintosh-users] Re: qemu gcc and firefox

  • From: "Psychicist Nonconformist" <psychicistnonconformist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:14:57 +0100

On Nov 8, 2007 6:08 AM, Everett Fuller <globaltree@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > for now, I'm only a bit puzzled by the absence of run-mozilla.sh[1], but
> > my ppc is at home so, I'll be more verbose later.
> >
> > [1]: http://packages.slackware.it/search.php?v=current&t=2&q=run-mozilla.sh
> >
> I found a copy of run-mozilla.sh:
>
> q88% sudo find /usr -name "run-mozilla.sh" -print
> Password:
> /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.6/run-mozilla.sh
> /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8/run-mozilla.sh
>

> > i don't know if this is possible, but maybe the qemu install script
> > accidentally installed a broken binfmt handler, which somehow interferes
> > with
> > the firefox components? You might check if there's any entry
> > in /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/ or if the binfmt_misc kernel module is loaded
> > (lsmod) and temporary disable it
> >
> I checked. /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/ is an empty directory, and there
> was no binfmt_misc kernel module listed in the results of lsmod.
>
> qemu is not really that important to me, as I am not a winxp or anything
> ms, but unfortunately, I occasionally have to access windows only
> websites, like my son's school's site at
> http://schools.connectionsacademy.com , and was trying to find way to do
> this on slackintosh... but I can use my son's x86 (he goes to this
> school using slackware 12, ies4linux, and wine) so it isn't essential
> for qemu to be on my powerpc..
>
> I could start over, though it makes me feel like a noob whenever I
> reinstall OS to fix mystery...

With the removal of gcc4 you've probably lost libstdc++.so.6, which
could cause these kinds of errors. You could try removing gcc3 and
reinstalling gcc 4.1.2 and see if Firefox works again. In order to
have an installation for compiling QEMU, it would be easier to create
a Slackintosh 12.0 chroot, parallel installation or virtual machine in
Mac on Linux (doesn't work at the moment).

I'm having the same problem building QEMU on Slackware 12.0,
Bluewhite64 12.0, MIPS and SPARC (no PPC at the moment), but I just
create chroots with GCC 3.4.6 installed and use those to build QEMU.
That works very well, without the potential for messing up the primary
installations.