[slackintosh-users] Re: mol redux; future of slackintosh?

  • From: "Marco Bonetti" <marco.bonetti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:33:54 +0200

On 3/27/06, Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
hi!

> A quick update: MOL finally works on my iBook.  I suspect that MOL
> really wanted Altivec support in the kernel; it was either crashing or
> causing a kernel panic without it.  On 2.6.16 and Altivec, it works
> fine.  I also strongly suspect that it can not understand HFS
> case-sensitive journalled filesystems; my MOL recognizes my
> case-sensitive nonjournalled HFS partition, but not the journalled one.
> (The partition type in the partition table didn't make a difference.)
interesting infos. I've noticed that HFSX support is in 2.6.16

> Is it as ''basic'' as tracking Slackware releases, plus adding
> platform-specific
> packages, or are there needs or plans for other additions or
> customisations?
My current "vision" (urgh! vaporware word!) is to stick with our big
brother, and that the big difference is just a little customization
towards laptop specific features, as I think that our main target are
slackware fans with an apple laptop (like me :D ) but I could be
terribly wrong... :-)

> Also, now that Apple is moving to Intel, will there still be a push to keep
> slackintosh up to date?
As long as I got a working powerpc machine I'm really interested in
keeping this distro up to date :-)

> Which brings me back to my question: how can we help?
(linux)packages! (linux)packages! (linux)packages!
As you can see there:
http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?ver=10.2&by=name&what_cat=&subcat=&arch=PPC&name=
linuxpackages.net is accepting powerpc entries but there aren't any atm...

So feel free to roll up your sleeves and start creating a strong
community ( MUWHAWHAWHA world domination is a step closer! ;-)

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
Slackintosh Linux Project Developer