[slackintosh-users] mol redux; future of slackintosh?

  • From: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:36:22 -0800

Hello all,

A quick update: MOL finally works on my iBook.  I suspect that MOL
really wanted Altivec support in the kernel; it was either crashing or
causing a kernel panic without it.  On 2.6.16 and Altivec, it works
fine.  I also strongly suspect that it can not understand HFS
case-sensitive journalled filesystems; my MOL recognizes my
case-sensitive nonjournalled HFS partition, but not the journalled one.
(The partition type in the partition table didn't make a difference.)

So...what's the future of slackintosh, and how can users help?  Is it as
''basic'' as tracking Slackware releases, plus adding platform-specific
packages, or are there needs or plans for other additions or
customisations?  Also, now that Apple is moving to Intel, will there
still be a push to keep slackintosh up to date?  I suspect PPC Apples
will be around for quite a while, not to mention that there are other
boxes that are PPC-based (though they probably get less out of
Apple-specific enhancements).  It would be nice to see slackintosh stick
around until most Apple PPC hardware is *really* obsolete, which for me
at least would be a good 4-5 years down the road, minimum.  But that's a
long time to maintain a distro with so little new hardware.  Is the rest
of the PPC market enough to keep up the work?  I dunno, since I don't do
the work.  :)  Which brings me back to my question: how can we help?

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/cgi-bin/fom