[SKRIVA] Gratis novellidé

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:31:16 +0200

Jag skrev detta på en annan lista på engelska, men det kan ju passa här också.
Den som vill utveckla idén får gärna ta den (förbehåller mig att använda den
själv också). Posta gärna utvikningar eller tankar om det här, nu när det
lägger sig en viss sommarstiltje på nätet:

For those of you who feel like writing a skiffy story now and then, a
free story idea! (I might use it myself but I haven't thought of a
viable plot yet. Plots are the centre pieces of a story. Ideas are
cheap.)

  Here it is: What if people could *smell* sequenced DNA?

  I found this site, which says it offers DNA sequencing in just a few
days. Their machines, probably the size of refrigerators, do it in 24
hours. This means that in five years a machine the size of a toaster
will do it in six hours. In ten years a machine the size of a USB stick
will do it in one hour. Etc. Soon it will be the size of a little chip:

http://investor.illumina.com/phoenix.zhtml?c1127&p=irol-newsArticle&id06799

  In the forseeable future, we can imagine putting a microscopic chip or
 some nanotech device in a human nose which will make it possible for
the person to know *exactly* what kind of cells that enter. Of course,
DNA is in the cell core, but our nano machinery can break up the cell to
 get to the core, of course.

  And while a DNA sequence is millions of base pairs, which is too much
for our conscious thinking to handle, it's no problem. Our brains are
good at filtering and do it all the time. The brain is reached by
millions of bits/second (from eyes, ears, etc) which is step by step
filtered down to just the few bits/second that reaches our
consciousness. The result is that we *know* something without having to
bother about the millions of bits.

  Imagine:

Wife: "Bastard! I can smell you were with Jessica yesterday, when you said you
were at that boring conference!"

Police: "Hm, that infamous burglar Johnny Blake was on this crime scene...."

Consumer: "I want THAT tomato! It's from the same farm as the one I bought
yesterday."

Doctor: "I smell a risk of cancer."

Psychologist: "I smell you have the risk factors for..."

Government: "In the interest of our perception of public health we forbid
everyone to...."

Dog: "No one wants us any more, when people can smell better than we!"

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).