[sinatraphiles] Re: Sinatra fills in on "Music That Satisfies"

  • From: Scott Henderson <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinatraphiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 10:59:38 -0400

A strangely colonized photo:

Emacs!

At 11:30 AM 7/30/2021, you wrote:

Sometime in the spring of 1945, Frank Sinatra filled in for Johnnie Johnston on the radio show "Music That Satisfies".

[]

MUSICAL SATISFACTION: Monica shared this remarkable photo of herself with Frank Sinatra several times on her social media channels over the years. But this is the first time we've actually seen how it appeared, captioned and in print, in the September 1945 issue of METRONOME magazine. Frank stepped in as a celebrity substitute for Monica's regular cohost, Johnnie Johnston, on the hit CBS Radio program "The Chesterfield Hour: Music that Satisfies," which was broadcast on both U.S. coasts twice weekly out of New York. Said Monica of Frank in a substantial passage on her friendship with the singer in her 2011 memoir, HOLLYWOOD THROUGH MY EYES: "He was generous, kind, and respectful to me whenever and wherever I encountered him. I will always remember him as he was in the 1940s--a cute, skinny guy with wavy hair, a killer grin, truly blue eyes... and that voice."

This was published on July 30, 1945:

[]

I'm still trying to find the date. It seems that Como was subbing for Johnnie Johnston and Sinatra had to sub for Como on that program when Como got sick.

JPEG image

PNG image

PNG image