[sinatraphiles] October 23 - THIS DATE IN SINATRA HISTORY

  • From: Scott Henderson <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinatraphiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 12:52:31 -0400

Studio

NONE

Radio

1943 Your Hit Parade
Network: CBS
Program #440
Time: 9:00-9:45 P.M. (Rebroadcast October 24, 1943 12:00-12:45 A.M.)
Sponsor: Lucky Strike
Script (Final As Broadcast)
1. If You Please (6) - Frank Sinatra
2. Somebody Loves Me - Orchestra
3. I Heard You Cried Last Night (5) - Bea Wain
4. Put Your Arms Around Me, Honey (9) - Hit Paraders
5. commercial
6. Rise And Shine - Orchestra
7. All Or Nothing At All (8) - Frank Sinatra
8. They're Either Too Young Or Too Old (7) - Bea Wain
9. Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition - Orchestra & Hit Paraders
10, station break
11. Pistol Packin' Mama (4) - Frank Sinatra
12. Louisiana Hayride - Orchestra
13. commercial
14. Paper Doll (3) - Hit Paraders
15. People Will Say We're In Love (2) - Bea Wain
16. Sunday, Monday, Or Always (1) - Frank Sinatra

1944 For The Record Show
Location: New York City
Network: NBC
Time: 11:30PM - 12:00PM (EST)
Show: #13
Guests: Frank Sinatra w/Raymond Paige and his orchestra, Hazel Scott, Deems Taylor, The Ink Spots
Conductor: Raymond Paige
1. If You Are But A Dream
2. Strange Music 3. Brahms Lullaby
4. Dick Haymes, Dick Todd And Como (Parody)
Notes: Confirmed aired on WEAF. Special radio recording session produced by George Simon for V-disc release.
Above songs appear on the CD: The V-discs 2. This is a V-Disc recording session with, Frank Sinatra, Raymond Paige, and Deems Taylor.
LOC has 10-inch NBC sound reel. TT: 30mins. Their copy has several bad skips at beginning of part 2.

1946 Songs By Sinatra (CBS)
Sponsor: Old Gold Cigarettes
Location: Hollywood
Announcer: Marvin Miller
Orchestra Conducted By: Axel Stordahl
Performers: Frank Sinatra, The Pied Pipers, Janet Waldo
1. The Coffee Song
2. The Things We Did Last Summer
3. By The Sea
4. Should I  Pied Pipers
3. For Me And My Gal
4. I'm Sorry I Made You Cry
5. On The Boardwalk In Atlantic City  w/ Pied Pipers
6. Soliloquy Frank introduces the song as the "Barker's Soliloquy" from "Carousel."
7. Put Your Dreams Away

note: Frank had this to say before singing "Soliloquy:" "In my book, this song goes on the list as
one of the all time greats."
Janet Waldo appeared on a number of Frank's O.G. shows. Usually, she was not credited. Here
is a photo and an excerpt from an interview with her.

Emacs!
WR: A few years ago, Capitol released a Frank Sinatra "Duet" album, featuring performances by him and people he had never even met. I cannot ask them the following question, but I can ask it of you. What's it like, singing with Frank Sinatra?
JW: Oh! That was the greatest fun! You're talking about when I played Teenaged Tina on his radio show. Benny Goodman was on that one and that's the only time Frankie and Benny performed together.
WR: Ever sing with the Velvet Fog?
JW: Oh, yes! When I sang with Frankie it was a medley -- we took turns -- but with Mel Torme it was a real duet.

Ed O'Brien:
I noticed a few songs were missing and decided to update the listing. While listening to
the show I made some interesting discoveries. I found three sites that list Jane Powell as a guest.
She does not make an appearance. The show is an early celebration of Halloween. Frank
says hello to "fellow pumpkin eaters" after the first number and closes the proceedings with the
following remarks, "Well, sir, it's time to put away your jack o' lanterns, put the scythe back on the
bed and hide the broomstick to next Halloween." I think the 10-30-46 show is a bit of a hodge-
podge. Marvin Miller's introduction is almost the same and there are no guests. I am fairly
certain the 10-30 show was cobbled together the same night Frank did the 10-23 show.

1948 Your Hit Parade
Network: NBC
Program #698
Time: 9:00-9:30 P.M. (Rebroadcast 9:00-9:30 P.M. PST 10:00-10:30 P.M. PDST)
Sponsor: Lucky Strike
Script (Final As Broadcast)
1. commercial 1
2. Every Day I Love You (7) - Frank Sinatra
3. Thou Swell - Orchestra
4. Buttons And Bows (6) - Beryl Davis
5. On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Orchestra
6. commercial 2
7. Hair Of Gold, Eyes Of Blue (4) - Hit Paraders
8. Maybe You'll Be There (5) - Frank Sinatra
9. The Continental - Orchestra
10. It's Magic (3) - Frank Sinatra
11. A Tree In The Meadow (2) - Beryl Davis
12. commercial 3
13. You Call Everybody Darling (1) - Frank Sinatra
Notes: Song order was changed during program. See script for details.

Ed O'Brien:
Another example of a song list that Sinatra would eventually
cover completely.

Television

1951 Frank Sinatra Show
Network: CBS
Location: New York City
Show: 39(in series), 2-03(in season)
Tuesday 8:00 P.M.-9:00 P.M.
Sponsor: Ekco Housewares (first 15mins), sustaining (final 45mins)
Orchestra Conducted By: Axel Stordahl
Producer: Max Gordon
Executive Producer: Marlo Lewis
Guests: Dagmar, Mary McCarty, Jack E. Leonard

Emacs!

note: Frank's TV show was struggling to acquire
more sponsors and more CBS affiliates. It was
announced on this day that the show had picked
up two more stations, effective 12/18. That would
give the show 22 affiliates -some live broadcasts
and others aired on kinescope. But with the good
news, came the ratings later in the week, the evening
of 10/23 showed Milton Berle pulling in a 41.6 to Frank's
16.3. CBS was shelling out $41,500 per episode and
they wanted bigger ratings. Alas, it was not to be. By
January of 1952, Ekco dropped its 15 minute segment.
and the show's rating did not tempt any potential sponsors.
CBS did grant Frank's request to move the production out
to Hollywood. The 11-20-51 was the first to be broadcast
from the west coast.
Ed

FILM

1980 "The First Deadly Sin" (World Premier, New York, October 23, 1980)
Starring: Frank Sinatra, Faye Dunaway, James Whitmore, David Dukes, Brenda Vaccaro, Martin Gabel, Anthony Zerbe,
Produced by:  Frank Sinatra, Elliott Kastner, George Pappas, Mark Shanker
Directed by: Brian G. Hutton
A serial killer is stalking New York. Inspector Edward X. Delaney (Sinatra) is an NYPD detective, nearing retirement, who is trying to put together the pieces of the case. Meanwhile, Delaney receives news that his wife Barbara (Dunaway) is recovering from emergency surgery. Barbara's surgeon, explains that complications from her kidney stones forced him to remove the organ. Over the course of the film, Barbara's condition worsens. With the help of a museum curator (Gabel), the coroner (Whitmore), and a victim's widow (Vaccao), Delaney eventually tracks down and finishes off the killer (Dukes).
--DVD Release: 1999-05-25
Emacs!

Note:  The world premiere took place on 10-23-80, Thursday, at Loews
State Theater, Broadway and 45th St, N.Y.C. The showing was a benefit for Cabrini Medical
Hospice in the city. Frank and Barbara Sinatra attended the opening. The next day the film
opened all over the city. The L.A and Chicago openings would be in late October (29)..

The film had an alternate ending shot for the TV airing. David Bowie was offered
the role of the psychotic killer. He was interested but wanted a better script.
David Dukes would eventually take the role. Sinatra was an executive
producer. Filming commenced on 5-10-80 and took 10 weeks to complete.
Critical response was very mixed but Sinatra was lauded for his world-weary
performance. He was discouraged by the critical reception to the film. It would be his
last feature role in a movie.
--Ed

Concerts

1935 Victory Theatre, San Jose, California (One Night Only)
Major Bowes' Radio Amateurs
Sinatra performed with the Hoboken Four

1939 Panther Room, Hotel Sherman, Chicago, Illinois (September 9 - October 27)
Harry James and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra

1940 Paramount Theater, Los Angeles, CA (October 18 - 30)
Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra
(On screen was "Moon Over Burma" with Dorothy Lamour, Robert Preston and Preston Foster)

1941 Meadowbrook, Cedar Grove , New Jersey (October 9 - October 28)
Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra

1942 Metropolitan Theatre in Providence, R.I. (October 23-25)
Tony Pastor Orchestra, The Stroud Twins and Sylvia and Clemence were also on the bill.

Emacs!

Billboard, 1942-11-07

1943 Wedgwood Room, Waldorf Astoria, New York City (October 1 - November 30)

1944 Paramount Theatre, New York City (11-29)
Three-Week Engagement
Frank Sinatra with The Raymond Paige Orchestra
O.A. Eileen Barton, Ollie O'Toole, Pops & Louie
Film: Our Hearts Were Young And Gay

1953 Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada (October 7-27)

1975 Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (Closing Night)
Orchestra Conducted By: Bill Miller

1976 The Omni, Atlanta, GA  (Cancelled)
Orchestra Conducted By: Bill Miller
The Atlanta Constitution (Atlanta, Georgia) · 23 Oct 1976:

Emacs!

1977 Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, Nevada
South Shore Room
Sidemen: Al Viola guitar, Gene Cherico, bass, Irv Cottler, drums, Charlie
Turner, trumpet and Frank's new piano player, Vinnie Falcone.
Orchestra conducted by Bill Miller
O.A. Jackie Gayle
1. Night And Day ( disco version arg. by Joe Beck )
2. I Sing The Songs
3. Something arg. by Don Costa
4. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
5. Gal That Got Away/ Never Entered My Mind
monologue
6. Maybe This Time
7. It Was A Very Good Year
8. Come Fly With Me
9. See The Show Again arg. by Charles Calello
10. My Kind Of Town
11. That's Life
12. My Way

Ed O'Brien:
There was a set song selection for the engagement. Frank introduces
his new piano player Vinnie Falcone. Bill Miller conducting.

1979 Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey
Orchestra Conducted By: Vincent Falcone, jr.
Tuesday evening
1. The Song Is You
2. Just The Way You Are
3. The Lady Is A Tramp
4. Yesterday
5. Something
6. I've Got You Under My Skin
monologue
7. Young At Heart Al Viola on guitar
8. For The Good Times w/quintet
9. I Can't Get Started
10. You And Me
11. Street Of Dreams
12. It Was A Very Good Year
13. April In Paris
14. A Foggy Day
15. New York, New York
Note: TT 62mins.

Ed O'Brien:
"Trilogy" would not be issued until late March of 1980,
but here we have Frank doing seven of the songs from
the set. He also closed the show with three tunes
that were tributes to great cities in world. His recordings
of those tunes were all definitive.

1982 Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey (14-24)
First Show
Orchestra Conducted By: Joe Parnello
1. I've Got You Under My Skin
2. I Get A Kick Out Of You
3. Come Rain Or Come Shine
4. When Your Lover Has Gone
5. The Lady Is A Tramp
6. monologue
7. Change Partners
8. Summer Me, Winter Me
9. The Best Is Yet To Come
Notes: TT 53mins.

1982 Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey (14-24)
Second Show
Orchestra Conducted By: Joe Parnello
1. I've Got You Under My Skin
2. I Get A Kick Out Of You
3. Come Rain Or Come Shine
4. When Your Lover Has Gone
5. The Lady Is A Tramp
6. monologue
7. Change Partners
8. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
9. The Best Is Yet To Come
10. New York, New York
Notes: TT 47mins.

1986 Beverly Hilton, Los Angeles, California
St. John's Benefit
Orchestra Conducted By: Bill Miller
1. Without a Song
2. For Once in my Life
3. My Heart Stood Still ("Arranged by the wonderful Nelson Riddle")
4. Summer Wind
5. New York , New York
6. Where or When
7. I Get a Kick out of You
8. Someone to Watch over Me
9. I've Got You under My Skin ("most identifiable, I think, arrangement Nelson ever wrote")
10. Night and Day (Riddle arg. 1956)
NOTE: Sinatra Scholar Ed O'Brien provided the song program for this 1986 Benefit. TT 42mins.

EXTRA

1935 Victory Theatre, San Jose, California (One Night Only)
Major Bowes' Radio Amateurs
Sinatra performed with the Hoboken Four

Emacs!

1942 Metropolitan Theatre in Providence, R.I. (October 23-25)
Tony Pastor Orchestra, The Stroud Twins and Sylvia and Clemence were also on the bill.

Emacs!

Emacs!

Emacs!

Variety
     10-28-42
note: Billboard attributed the higher gross to an added show the Metropolitan started called
"War Workers." This additional vaude show was run at 11 P.M. on Saturday nights.
     Ed

---------------------------------

Young Voters For Roosevelt Committee
10-23-44.

Emacs!

note: Frank meeting with Young Voters For Roosevelt Committee
10-23-44. They were discussing plans for 10-24 rally at Carnegie
Hall.

October 23, 1945 Benjamin Franklin High School, New York, New York
Sinatra talks about racial unity

[]

October 23, 1950 New York:
Singing star Frank Sinatra lends his famous voice to the words of the "The Star-Spangled Banner," in a United Nations flag-raising ceremony at historic Madison House

Frank Sinatra Singing With Young Boys : News Photo

Frank Sinatra Singing With Young Boys
(Original Caption) 10/23/50-New York: Singing star Frank Sinatra lends his famous voice to the words of the "The Star-Spangled Banner," in a United Nations flag-raising ceremony at historic Madison House, in the Lower East Side's traditional melting pot. Joining him in the chorus, which marked UN Day, Oct. 24, is a make-up choir of some of the neighborhood kids.

City Of Hope Dinner/Benefit (Cancer Research)
October 23, 1955
Hollywood
Sunday Evening
Entertainment: Jose Greco, Anna Maria Alberghetti,
Gene Kelly, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra

Emacs!

---------------------------------

1975 Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Emacs!

1980 "The First Deadly Sin" (USA General Release  October 3, 1980)
Starring: Frank Sinatra, Faye Dunaway, James Whitmore, David Dukes, Brenda Vaccaro, Martin Gabel, Anthony Zerbe,

Emacs!

The First Deadly Sin
Roger Ebert, October 30, 1980

Who would have thought, in all honesty, that Frank Sinatra had this performance still left in him? Ten years after his last film, the dismal "Dirty Dingus Magee," and longer than that since the schlock of "Tony Rome" and "Lady in Cement," here he is again with a quiet, poignant, and very effective performance as the centerpiece of "The First Deadly Sin." The movie is one of the season's pleasant surprises.

Sinatra plays Ed Delaney, a New York police detective with only a few weeks until his retirement. He goes out to investigate a routine mugging and discovers that the victim has been killed by a strange weapon: The impact on the skull is like nothing he's seen before. He stumbles over a couple of related cases, and begins to suspect that the same madman is responsible for them all. Delaney's boss would basically just like him to forget about it and retire, but some small core of stubbornness won't let Delaney let go.

At the same time, things are not going well in his private life. His wife (Faye Dunaway) has had a kidney removed and is in the hospital, critically ill. Delaney is living a bachelor's existence in their town house-which probably reflects her taste in the antiques and plants that stand ready as a backdrop to his retirement. He is a quiet man, firm but not demonstrative, and even his determination to follow through on the murder case isn't heroic, it's just dogged.

The movie surrounds Sinatra with a gallery of good character actors in good roles: There's the raspy coroner (James Whitmore) and the oily doorman (Joe Spinell) and the little old curator of antiquities (George Coe) who improbably figures out what was probably used as the murder weapon.

There's a less satisfactory treatment of the killer (David Dukes), who is never really established as a personality, and exists only as a shadowy, frightening cipher. The movie's never consistent in the way it shows us the killer. We're apparently omniscient at times, and can watch the killer alone in his coldly efficient High Tech apartment. But at other times we're deliberately kept ignorant of his plans and movements. The movie wants to have things both ways, but thrillers are more effective when they establish rules and play by them.

Still, the failure to develop the killer isn't really crucial to the movie; we know enough about him, and can guess enough more from other movies and pop psychology, to fill in his blanks. What definitely doesn't work in this movie is the entire character of Delaney's wife, as played by Dunaway. The movie opens with Delaney called off a case to go to her bedside, where the emergency operation was just performed - and then, all during the rest of the film, the police action alternates with visits to the bedside.

Dunaway's role has to be the longest -running deathbed scene I can remember. All we know for sure is that she'll look worse every time Sinatra goes to the hospital. After a few brave and cheerful remarks at the outset, she has hardly any dialogue, and so we don't learn much about their relationship.

The fact that she is dying is intended, of course, as counterpoint to the professional pressures bearing down on the detective. But (and here the movie miscalculates) we don't need to see her dying to feel those pressures. It might have been more effective to let her die offscreen, and to let us imagine her suffering while identifying with his grief.

The handling of the wife's character could have been fatal to the movie, but it's not. That's due to Sinatra, who plays this role close to his chest, and who looks and acts very touchingly like a tired old cop on the threshold of retirement. We can empathize with him, and that's partly because he resists any temptation to give us a reprise of those wisecracking wiseasses he played in the 1960s. This is a new performance, built from the ground up.

Emacs!

© 1997-2022 The Sinatra Archive
This calendar, or any parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any fashion
whatsoever without the prior written permission of the publisher (The
Sinatra Archive)
__._,_.___

JPEG image

JPEG image