[sinatraphiles] October 22 - THIS DATE IN SINATRA HISTORY

  • From: Scott Henderson <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinatraphiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 13:38:42 -0400

Studio Recordings

1947 New York City

CO38272 I'll Make Up For Everything
(R. Parker)
Peter Maurice Music Co. Ltd. (ASCAP) 1947
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (2:55) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 7
78: 38089

CO38273 Strange Music
(R. Wright/G. Forrest/E. Grieg)
(from Song Of Norway)
Chappell & Co., Inc. (ASCAP) 1944
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-PB (3:12) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 7
-1 LP: CL-1448 Reflections (alt. take)
-1 78: 38684

CO38274 Laura
(D. Raksin/J. Mercer)
(from Laura)
Robins Music Corp. (ASCAP) 1945
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (3:12) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 7
LP: C6X-40343 The Voice-The Columbia years, 43-52
LP: HL-7405 Romantic Scenes From The Early Years
LP: CL-743 The Voice
LP: C2L-6 Frank Sinatra Story In Music
78: 38472

CO38275 Night And Day
(C. Porter)
(from Gay Divorcee)
Chappell & Co., Inc. (ASCAP) 1932
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (3:39) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 7
-B (3:18) CD: C2K 65244 Portrait Of Sinatra

CO38272 & 38275 Violins: F. Buldrini, M. Ceppos, S. Harris, M. Hershaft, H. Katzman, S. Kirsner, L. Kruczek, F. Orlewitz, M. Pitt, Z. Smirnoff, H. Urbont, J. Zyde; Violas: H. Colletta, S. Deutsch, H. Furmansky; Cellos: M. Brown, A. Kaproff, G. Ricci; Saxes: E. Caceres, H. Feldman, B. Kaufman, H. Shertzer, W. Taninbaum; Horn: J. Singer; Piano: J. Guarnier; Guitar: M. Golizio; Bass: H. Alpert; Drums: N. Shawker; Harp: E. Vito Ricci

CO38273 & 38274 Violins: F. Buldrini, M. Ceppos, S. Harris, M. Hershaft, H. Katzman, S. Kirsner, L. Kruczek, F. Orlewitz, M. Pitt, Z. Smirnoff, H. Urbont, J. Zyde; Violas: H. Colletta, S. Deutsch, H. Furmansky; Cellos: M. Brown, A. Kaproff, G. Ricci; Trumpets: G. Griffin, J. Lausen, M. Solomon; Trombones: W. Pritchard, W. Rausch, A. Russo; Saxes: E. Caceres, H. Feldman, B. Kaufman, H. Shertzer, W. Taninbaum; Horn: J. Singer; Piano: J. Guarnier; Guitar: M. Golizio; Bass: H. Alpert; Drums: N. Shawker; Harp: E. Vito Ricci

Ed O'Brien:
I would like to offer a few thoughts and additional information on a couple of the songs recorded at this session.
Skitch Henderson told me "Laura" just blew Frank away back in the forties. He loved the melody by David Raksin ( Cole
Porter agreed with Frank. He once said it was his favorite melody) and, of course, the haunting lyrics by the great Johnny Mercer.
(When Mercer saw a rough cut of the film he wasn't certain how to convey the movie's theme in the song. He finally decided
it called for a very mysterious lyric). Frank sang it often in concert back then, Skitch told me.
Through the years Sinatra would mention songs that were his absolute all-time favorite. The ones most often cited were "Nancy,"
"One For My Baby," "I Get Along Without You Very Well," "Here's That Rainy Day," "Come Rain Or Come Shine" and "Laura."
During a private interview in 1990, Sinatra stated that "Laura" was his favorite song. He told the interviewer that he adored the
recording he made with Gordon Jenkins in 1957. He then went further and without equivocation proclaimed his great love for the song and
the pride he took in his recording of it.
The 1947 recording of "Night And Day" was not released until the Complete Columbia set was issued in September of 1993. Didier
Deutsch, Columbia producer, told me how surprised he was when they discovered the disc and the rejected master of "The Song Is You"
from the 10-26-47 session date. The irony here is Columbia rejected the two songs Sinatra recorded and re-recorded the most in his career.
His fascination with Porter's great song goes all the way back to his years at the Rustic Cabin. There was a disastrous attempt to sing it for
Porter at that nightclub in the summer of 1938. Sinatra loved to regale his audience with that tale and Porter's reaction. In the studio, he made
it one of his first solo recordings on 1-19-42. A lovely ballad version that featured Skitch Henderson on piano. Then the 1947 with Stordahl before
the definitive swing chart with Riddle in 1956. The heavy string version with Costa in 1961 is also remarkable and, of course, we have the
misguided disco (Frank called it "the hustle") in 1977. It was featured as the opening song on his Old Gold Show from 1945 thru 47. His first
Light Up Time show ( 9-5-49) opened with a ballad reading of the song. Sinatra sang it in concert with just piano or guitar; with a small combo;
with the verse in the middle, with the full orchestra, either the ballad or uptempo, and as a disco number. Once he sang it on radio with bongos.
He performed the song for more than 50 years. A half-century love affair.

Ed O'Brien:
Recently I listened to a concert in which Sinatra sang "Laura" with a Don Costa arrangement. At the conclusion of the song, Frank tells
the audience if he had been a composer, the Raksin melody is the one he would have liked to have done.

1962 Los Angeles

1509 Me And My Shadow
w/Sammy Davis Jr.
(Dave Dreyer/Al Jolson/Billy Rose)
Bourne Co./Larry Spier, Inc. (ASCAP)
Arranged & Conducted by Billy May
-4 (3:05) CD: 46013-2 The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings Disc 5
CD: 9-26340-2The Reprise Collection
LP: FS5283 ( Italy )
45: 20,128

NOTE: Sinatra Scholar Ed O'Brien tells us that this was a fun session. Two songs were laid down that night. After Sinatra and Davis recorded "Shadow . . .", Dean and Sammy recorded "Sam's Song." There was a 12-piece orchestra with Billy May arranging and conducting. It took four takes to get a recording on "Shadow" and six takes on "Sam's Song." There were different coda on the Sinatra and Sammy each take and Sinatra was a cheerleader during the Dean and Sammy recording.

O'Brien remembers the picture sleeve on the 45 rpm and was thrilled later to hear concert versions of both songs. "Shadow" was the A side of the single. Record reached #64 on the Billboard Top 10 and was on the charts for six weeks. It reached #18 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart and had a brief two week life on the charts. The song was a #1 hit for Whispering Jack Smith in 1927! Sinatra and Sammy sang a straight version minus Sammy Cahn's lyrics on the ABC-TV show of January 31, 1958 (Sinatra's show).

Image result for picture sleeve for sinatra-sammy davis

Radio

1938 Frank Sinatra, Songs
WAAT 5pm
Emacs!

1942 Refelections, Frank Sinatra with Bobby Tucker's Chorus
8pm
Emacs!

1954 Frank Sinatra Show
Friday Evening
NBC -Radio
8:15 P.M.  - 8:30 P.M.
Sponsor: Bobbi Home Permanent
1.  Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams    F.S.
2.  Smile        Sunny Gale
3.  The Gal That Got Away        F.S.

Television

None

Concerts

1935 Strand Theatre, Modesto, California (One Night Only)
Major Bowes' Radio Amateurs
Sinatra performed with the Hoboken Four

1939 Panther Room, Hotel Sherman, Chicago, Illinois (September 9 - October 27)
Harry James and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra

1940 Paramount Theater, Los Angeles, CA (October 18 - 30)
Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra
(On screen was "Moon Over Burma" with Dorothy Lamour, Robert Preston and Preston Foster)

1941 Meadowbook, Cedar Grove , New Jersey (October 9 - October 28)
Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra w/Frank Sinatra

1943 Wedgwood Room, Waldorf Astoria, New York City (October 1 - November 30)

1944 Paramount Theatre , New York City (11-29)
Three-Week Engagement
Frank Sinatra with The Raymond Paige Orchestra
O.A. Eileen Barton, Ollie O'Toole, Pops & Louie
Film: Our Hearts Were Young And Gay

1953 Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada (October 7-27)

1975 Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (17-23)

1976 Jefferson Civic Center, Birmingham, Alabama (Cancelled)
The Anniston Star (Anniston, Alabama) · 21 Oct 1976:
Emacs!

1977 Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (21-27)
Two shows; identical song selection for both performances.
Sinatra introduces newest member of his small group, Vinnie Falcone
1. Night and Day (Joe Beck arg.)
2. I Sing the Songs
3. Something
4. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
5. Gal that Got Away/Never Entered my Mind
6. Monologue
7. Maybe This Time
8. It was a Very Good Year
9. Come Fly with Me
10. See the Show Again (Charles Callelo arg.)
11. My Kind of Town
12. My Way

1978 Radio City Music Hall , New York City (14-22)
Sunday evening closing night of a spectacular, triumphant engagement
1. New York, New York
2. At Long Last Love
3. The Lady is a Tramp
4. Someone to Watch over Me
5. Here's that Rainy Day
6. My Funny Valentine
7. The Gal that Got Away
8. It Never Entered my Mind
9. Monologue
10. That's What God Looks Like to Me
11. Maybe This Time (a highlight)
12. Autumn in New York
13. You and Me
14. The Tender Trap
15. Lonely Town
16. The Oldest Established Permanent Crap Game . . .
17. Remember
18. My Way
19. America the Beautiful

1979 Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey (21-27)

1980 Syracuse Carrier Dome, New York
Reagan Benefit
Wednesday evening
Conducted by Vinnie Falcone
O.A. Wayne Newton
1. I've Got The World On A String
2. The Best Is Yet To Come
3. The Song Is You
4. When Your Lover Has Gone
5. The Lady Is A Tramp
monologue
6. Street Of Dreams
7. You And Me
8. My Kind Of Town
9. New York, New York

1982 Resorts International, Atlantic City, New Jersey (19-24)
Friday evening
Joe Parnello conducted
1. I've Got You Under My Skin
2. I Get A Kick Out Of You
3. Come Rain Or Come Shine
4. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
5.When Your Lover Has Gone T. Mottola
6. The Lady Is A Tramp
monologue
7. I've Got The World On A String
8. Change Partners
9. New York, New York

1994 United Center, Chicago, Illinois
Orchestra Conducted By : Frank Sinatra jr.
1. I've Got The World On A String
2. All Or Nothing At All
3. A Foggy Day
4. For Once In My Life
5. Come Rain Or Come Shine
6. I've Got You Under My Skin
7. Where Or When
8. At Long Last Love
9. Embraceable You
10. What Now My Love
11. The Best Is Yet To Come
12. My Way
13. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
14. New York , New York
15. My Kind Of Town

Emacs!

While it was a crisp October evening in Chicago, everybody knew it was late December of Frank Sinatra's Years. Along with many in the crowd, I had also attended a performance during Frank's previous 3 show Chicago engagement at the Civic Opera House in May 1993 where I did hear he was in fine form on opening night but it was painful to witness him stumble during his Saturday night performance where fatigue exacerbated by old age made him forget lyrics and occasionally mumble incoherently between songs. At the time, I didn't think he'd ever perform live again let alone come back through Chicago yet when the next concert date was announced I pounced on 4 tickets as I knew my buddy Dutch would like to go and we'd take a couple of English au pairs from the neighborhood who also hung out with us at Ranalli's (along with our mutual friend King mentioned in previous 2 posts). I forewarned the nannies of how Frank was now only a relic of the performer they heard on the Ranalli's jukebox and this concert was only to be looked upon as paying our respects. Ordinarily, I prefer to attend cultural events by myself rather than having a date whose presence far too often distracts and diminishes the evening often leading to post performance tensions. These two nannies had become genuine Sinatra fans and I knew they would also view this evening as quite special and always treasure.

Longtime Chicagoans like to think of Frank Sinatra as our own even though he's more often associated with New York. Frank spent a great deal of time in Chicago over the years particularly during the 1950s and '60s when he frequently made movies or did extended engagements at Chicago Outfit associated nightclubs. Everybody older than 70 has a Sinatra story to tell. One I've heard frequently was when he got in a fight at Chicago's famous rib joint Twin Anchors. At every sporting event in Chicago they wait to play the Sinatra classic My Kind of Town during a pivotal moment to rouse the crowd to a fever pitch as everybody knows the words and sings along.

While I was careful to tamp down expectations on Frank's performance, the United Center was another vexing issue. The brand new home of the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks had only been open a couple of weeks and had just hosted a Billy Joel concert. The acoustics were so bad that attendees were demanding their money back. We all were wearing our best suits and outfits and were prepared just to look at the evening as paying tribute to a once great performer and American icon.

The crowd was unlike any other I've ever attended a concert with. The whole Sinatra Rat Pack scene was making a big comeback in the major cities with the movie Goodfellas dialog often overheard and cigar bars on nearly every block downtown and the North Side. I was afraid there were going to be a lot of these poseurs littering the crowd but thankfully that was not the case. We were among the youngest there with many looking like the crowd at Johnny Sac's daughter's wedding on The Sopranos. These were people who fell in love while listening to Frank on the radio and cried when their daughters took their first dance to that same song at her wedding. The general mood was we were all there to say goodbye.

Don Rickles was the opening act. Rickles has always said that Sinatra was the making of him since when he was a complete unknown performing in Miami Beach in the late '50s, Frank came in to watch his act, liked what he saw, and gave Rickles gigs opening for him in Vegas and soon became a household name. I've always liked Rickles and he was sensational that night perfectly setting the stage for what was to follow.

As Sinatra entered, there was a thunderous ovation that he acknowledged and then quickly dissipated by turning and ordering the band to commence with Come Fly With Me which has no musical prelude. I could tell immediately that Frank's voice sounded much stronger and more sure of itself than during the previous year's performance and the United Center's acoustics issues had apparently been resolved. The nannies grinned over at me with looks of startled bemusement that said "I thought you said Frank was washed up...". Frank was off and running and while the songs didn't sound like the recordings from the '50s and '60s, his richer, more mature, if less powerful, voice gave those songs a deeper meaning that everybody understood. As the lights came up for intermission, the crowd noise went from eardrum piercing applause to an intensely animated din of electrified astonishment over what we had just witnessed. Dutch, the nannies, and I raced out as they were all in need of a quick ciggie to calm their overstimulated nerves. Everybody poring into the Main Floor concourse was abuzz with excitement and not even 5 minutes into intermission with Dutch and the nannies nicotine fix not yet sated we heard noise coming from inside the main floor which we soon recognized as Frank Jr's band striking back up triggering a chaotic stampede of people stomping out just lit cigarettes, abandoning just purchased drinks, and racing to get back inside. I later heard Frank was in his dressing room pacing back and forth like a caged lion and being very conscious of having the now fleeting capacities of his A Game at his full command barked to Frank Jr and the band: "Fuck this...Let's go!!!" and ready or not here 'Ol Blue Eyes' comes adding frenzy to all the commotion. Frank was every bit as strong after the short break and the night was reaching a crescendo as he did New York, New York, and My Way and he closed, just as we hoped he would, with My Kind of Town...and while there wasn't a dry eye in the house we each now had a sentimental journey to always help our lonely heart find a home.

-----------------------------------

EXTRA:

1935 Strand Theatre, Modesto, California (One Night Only)
Major Bowes' Radio Amateurs
Sinatra performed with the Hoboken Four

cid:image009.jpg@01D7C728.6C9B1100

cid:image012.png@01D7C726.0985FE60

1944 Broadway For Roosevelt Dinner, New York
October 22, 1944
Frank Sinatra, Ethel Merman, Jackie Gleason, Bert Lahr and others

Emacs!

cid:image010.png@01D7C726.7CA7B7D0

cid:image013.png@01D7C726.DC085FE0

----------------------------------

1948 War Memorial Opera House, San Francisco, CA
Friars’ Frolic Benefit for Blind Babies Nursery
Jack Benny, George Jessel, George Burns, Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, George Raft, Abbott and Costello, Ronald Reagan, Al Jolson, The Ritz Brothers, Donald O’Connor, Dan Dailey, Danny Kaye and others

cid:image005.png@01D7C724.3157B2A0

cid:image002.jpg@01D7C415.0FBAD9E0

cid:image008.png@01D7C724.965964F0

1980 Syracuse Carrier Dome, New York
Reagan Benefit
Wednesday evening
Conducted by Vinnie Falcone

Emacs!

© 1997-2021 The Sinatra Archive
This calendar, or any parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any fashion
whatsoever without the prior written permission of the publisher (The
Sinatra Archive)

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image