[SI-LIST] tight coupling vs EMI

  • From: Amit Kumar <amit.j.kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 17:59:05 +0000

Hello experts,
For high frequency signals, it becomes important to widen the traces to reduce
insertion loss(skin effect).
But if we widen the traces, the spacing between the diff pair will have to be
increased to maintain 100 ohm impedance.
For one of my package design which has 12.5 G serdes, I changed the diff pair
width/spacing ratio from 20um/50um to 25um/75um.
This does reduce the insertion loss a bit.
I want to know how is this configuration with respect to EMI.
As the diff pair is loosely coupled, I assume the EMI will be higher owing to
weaker field interaction between the diff pair.
Can this be a potential problem? If yes, how do we quantify the impact and
optimize the design.

Thanks
Amit

List forum is accessible at: