[SI-LIST] Re: tight coupling vs EMI

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Amit Kumar'" <amit.j.kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jonathan Riley'" <jonathan.lloyd.riley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 10:54:56 -0700

My pleasure.

From: Amit Kumar [mailto:amit.j.kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 9:44 AM
To: Jonathan Riley; leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: si-list
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] Re: tight coupling vs EMI

Thanks a lot Jon and Lee.

From: Jonathan Riley [mailto:jonathan.lloyd.riley@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 3:23 AM
To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Amit Kumar; si-list

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Hi Amit

The matter of a loosely coupled differential pair or a tightly coupled pair
make little practical difference to EMI if we make the assumption that both
traces are over a good (unbroken) plane. If you have given due diligence to the
design and routing of the pair, it is reasonable to say that EMI is unlikely to
be an issue. When the spacing between the traces becomes large, there is no
significant coupling between them and each trace can now be 50 Ohms as Lee
suggests. There is only one time when close coupling is a must and that is when
there is no reference plane or shield. Even then it is not a panacea, it only
means you don't generate EMI if you also have ensured that the signals in the
pair are matched to each other in both level-change and dv/dt, and also have no
time skew between them. Either of these leads to common-mode components in the
pair which usually does radiate strongly (as most people who have designed
Ethernet interfaces can tell you). In the case of a PCB you have planes to
allow displacement currents to flow in a controlled way with a minimal loop
area, so two 50 Ohms traces with correct termination is sufficient to keep EMI
under control. On a PCB it is fair to say that close-coupling is only a benefit
if you don't have the space and can't add more layers to accommodate all your
signals. Otherwise loose-coupled pairs win hands down.

Widening traces does control insertion loss but it is not the whole story. Here
are a few other things that might be worth giving a little thought to.

You should also consider any surface finish applied to the trace. For example
ENIG is commonly used but the conductance of the Nickel compared to the Copper
is much worse, so half the skin-effect current flows through the Copper but the
other half flows through the Nickel. If you must use ENIG, apply it
selectively; leave all the Copper that you are not going to solder to unplated.

Another possibility is the smoothness of the Copper foil (much has been said on
this matter in other threads in this list).

If you want to reduce losses further, look at changing your dielectric. This is
a fairly radical solution (and usually not a cheap one) but when the dielectric
constant changes from around 4 to somewhere around 3 your losses improve
because of this and also because to keep the same impedance the traces are now
rather wider and the spacings too. If you've never used these materials before,
either by themselves or as hybrid boards (most layers separated by conventional
materials, but just the top layer separated by the special material) take
advice first.

Regards

Jon

On 2 June 2015 at 19:12, Lee <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

Differential impedance does not matter. What matters is two good 50 ohm
lines, each terminated in 50 ohms.

Widening traces to reduce insertion loss is not the best way to control
loss.