[SI-LIST] Re: test board

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhill@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:33:47 -0700

> I am not sure where the 3D came from. I entered Z equal B, where I
> used the "equal to" character???

It's a common mail system mixup.

The basic problem is how to handle "strange" characters that might confuse
software that is processing mail.

One way is uuencode or base64 encoding.  That is hard/impossible to scan
visually and takes a lot more space if the message is mostly simple text.

Another way is "quoted-printable".  It works better if there are only a few
strange characters.  The idea is "=" is special.  If there is an "=" in the
message, the following 2 characters are the hex value of the character.
Normal text is unchanged so you can easily read the message if it's simple
text.

The hex value for = is 3D.  So if you see "=3D" where an = would make more
sense, some mail system probably used  quoted-printable and the note
someplace else in the message (probably headers, maybe mime headers) saying
that it was used got lost when the message was forwarded or cut-paste or...

There was a discussion here not long ago about the similar problem of base64
encoded messages coming through as base64.  (I just delete them.)

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: