[SI-LIST] Re: sorting thru the junk mail

  • From: "JaMi Smith" <jamismith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:44:37 -0800

Andy and the group,

Yes, it is unfortunate that this particular "Listserver" puts the original
sender(s)
as the first address in the "To" field (when replied to), but it only takes a
quick
point and click and delete to resolve that issue. Most other Lists
("Listservers")
that I belong to do not operate in that manner, so there is not any problem
when it
comes to the "To" column. I additionally notice that this particular
"Listserver"
always seems to put the "[SI-LIST]" first in the "Subject" field, instead of the
"Re:", which causes problems in sorting the replies from a single "Subject"
together, but what the heck, it is free (freelists), which means that we
probably
shouldn't be complaining, right. Oh well, seems that it might be home grown
software, so I should probably shut up before I incur the wrath of whomever . .
.

I thought about the "size" of the previous post, which I was replying to, which
could (and probably should) have shortened, but I left it alone so that all of
the
previous headers, which proved the point at issue, would be there untouched. I
suppose that I could have <snipped> out various longwinded portions of the
"trailing" replies, but typing any character in my particular editor (Outlook
Express 5) in the area of any "trailing" reply, causes the whole thing to
indent yet
one more level, such that I either leave it all alone (as I did) or delete it
all (I
guess I could have deleted several smaller blocks within the "trailing
replies"),
but yes, your point is well taken, and one which I agree with - no need to
carry the
whole "thread" around with each reply (except in this particular case, the
ability
to properly sort threads by "Subject, by placing the "Re:" behind the
[SI-LIST], as
opposed to where it is now placed, screws things up (oh well, you can't win them
all)).

Anyway, it has become the case today, that whenever anything does not work up to
snuff, to blame Bill Gates (as if he wrote the "Listserver"). But I would only
ask,
why do 9 out of 10 "Listservers" work fine with just about anything (OK, I
better
stop here - wrath of whoever, etc..). When 9 out of 10 systems in the world
operate
some version of "Windoze" (Yes the number is 90% minimum), it is simply
unacceptable
to use arcane noncompliant software. Odds are that whatever compiler (or
assembler)
that was used to write the current software, had all all of the neccessary API
calls, so the the Bill Gates excuse really doesn't work at all, with the one
exception being where the original prpgrammer hates "Windoze" and intentionally
writes his code in a manner which does not conform to the way the rest of the
world
operates. Good code, and those that write it, always covers all of the bases.

The primary point of the problem here is that the "Listserver" requires you to
hit
10
other "Listservers do not), which causes the issue at hand. But there is
absolutely
no reason to send the originator (or responder) of the previous email, 2 copies
of
the same post (one direct, and one thru the "Listserver" (that is why some of
you
that simply go back and forth without deleting your (or others) names) from the
"To"
field, may end up getting 3 or 4 or more copies of the same email post)).

All it takes is a few mouse clicks to delete all of the names from the "To"
field
(after "Reply All"), excepting that of the "Listserver", before you hit send.
Since
the previous responders are all members of the list anyway, they will get a
copy of
any new response to the thread. One exception to this, is when the originator
(or
previous responder) is not a member of the list, and asks that you respond to
his
email address directly, in which case, the "Listserver" address should still be
there as first in the "To" field, with the other email address either after the
"Listserver" address or in the "Cc" field.

Another problem is when people ramble on for several pages in a single sentence.
Ooops! :-)

Merry Christmas to all,

JaMi Smith