[SI-LIST] Re: sorting thru the junk mail

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:57:08 -0500

> Yes, it is unfortunate that this particular "Listserver" puts the original
> sender(s)
> as the first address in the "To" field (when replied to),

It isn't the Listserver.  It's the e-mail program running on *my* computer
(or your computer, and everyone else's computer) that does it.

If I'm running Outlook or Outlook Express and click on "Reply All",
Outlook Express grabs the sender's address of the message I am
replying to, and puts it first.  It does that with any message I am
replying to, list or not.  Outlook Express is at fault, not the Listserver.
If you run a Unix or Mac mail program that does the same thing, then
it, too, would be at fault (if you can call it that).

> Most other Lists ("Listservers")
> that I belong to do not operate in that manner, so there is not any problem
> when it
> comes to the "To" column.

Ah, now you are talking about something different, I think.

This particular list is indeed configured so that a simple "Reply" goes
only to the originator, not to the entire list.  Many other lists out there,
but not all, are configured so that a "Reply" goes to the whole list.

This was a conscious choice, by the list manager, intended to
reduce the number of unintended replies (which might contain
sensitive information) going back to all 3000+ people on this list
when the person meant to reply to just one individual.  Keep in mind,
this is a big list, and before this change there were frequent
unintended replies with personal / sensitive information that went to
everyone.  The way it is now configured, one has to make more of
a conscious decision to send a reply to the list rather than one
individual.

Personally, I prefer it this way, on this list.  (Or maybe I'm just
accustomed to it.)  I'm sure there are many like you who probably
don't.  We've had discussions before about which way is best.
You can't make everyone happy.

Yahoo is another "Listserver" that hosts thousands of maillists like
this one.  Each of those lists can be configured either way.  Don't
blame the Listserver when it is more like a configuration setting.

Happy holidays,
Andy Ingraham

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: