[SI-LIST] reference plane of W element

  • From: "zam jawa" <vm2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:52:48 +0000

Hi all, I am zam, a student. This is my first posting so I hope I did not
open a thread in the wrong section.

I am currently doing a study on decoupling of power bus. I am using the w
element in hspice to model the interconnects. However, I am not certain of
the reference plane in this w element. Does hspice model it as a perfect
conductor? I read through the manual esp on the field solvers examples but
all of them uses PEC as the material for the reference/metal layer. Does
thismean that if I use a metal layer made of copper, the reference plane
becomes non ideal? So if I do not want a perfect reference plane, how do I
goabout it? Hope somebody out there can clarify with me on this matter. Have
a nice day people. [IMG]

Below is part of my netlist for my study:

W1 vdd gnd vddpin gnd N=1 l=0.15

+FSmodel=mysolver

+INCLUDERSIMAG=YES

.MATERIAL diel_1 DIELECTRIC ER=2.5

+LOSSTANGENT=1.9e-3

.MATERIAL copper METAL

+CONDUCTIVITY=5.88e7

.SHAPE mytrace RECTANGLE WIDTH=127um HEIGHT=35um

.LAYERSTACK mystack

+LAYER=(copper,35um),LAYER=(diel_1,630um)

.FSOPTIONS myoption ACCURACY=HIGH

+GRIDFACTOR=1 PRINTDATA=YES

+COMPUTEGD=YES COMPUTEGO=YES

+COMPUTERS=YES COMPUTERO=YES

.MODEL mysolver W MODELTYPE=FieldSolver

+LAYERSTACK=mystack FSOPTIONS=myoption

+RLGCFILE=microstrip.rlgc

+CONDUCTOR=(SHAPE=mytrace MATERIAL=copper ORIGIN=(0,665um))

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: