[SI-LIST] Re: redriver issue

  • From: jun zhang <zhangjun5960@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hock Seow <hseow@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:43:46 +0800

Hi Seow,
Thank you very much for your patient reply. If I have other concerns, I
will contact with you again~

Regards

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Hock Seow <hseow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jun,

There is no short cut. Good SI Engineer would speed long hours in the
lab performing measurement and try to understand their SerDes deviation,
Channel deviation and what causes the different between measured and model.
Some deviations might be PCB vendors manufacturing process related, some
might be measurement setup related, some might be the accuracy of the
models. The more you doing it, the better you will be. All the SI Experts
in the list spent countless hours in the labs, with excellent hand-on
experience. You are on the right track.

You might find the following steps helpful:

- Understand the limitation of your SerDes. Include the Tx Jitter, Rx
min Noise Floor, min/max channel length that the SerDes could successfully
operate at room temp or better, over different temperature and voltage
effects. Even better if you have corner lot of the SerDes to understand the
Process deviation
- Minimize all possible interference sources in your systems/channels,
including:
- Reflections: Most reflection are caused by signal transition.
Like Layers transition (Via), into and out of interconnect, AC Coupling cap
- Crosstalk: Most Crosstalk are layout related (Routing layer,
distance between week victim and strong aggressors, pin assignment on
interconnect)
- Noise Floor: Most Tx/Rx internal Jitter are related to
Digital/Analog Power Isolation, Supply Noise. (PI help here)
- Once you know the min/max channel capability of the SerDes, design
your channel so that the final channel is within the min/max range (not be
too close to the min or max). The channel that is within the Min/Max range
imply that the SerDes's internal Tx/Rx EQ are away from their saturation
working range and this provide margin for the SerDes's Tx/Rx internal EQ to
train and find the best setting to equalize the channel over PVT

The two major suppliers for SAS 12Gbps support Training in their hardware
and model. Just a warning, model are not always accurate. Expect at least
5% and typically, more than 10% different between hardware and model.
Accurate model implying that the SerDes Vendors have to put many
designers in the model development, which I do not see this happening. By
the way, the only repeater that is transparent to the Tx/Rx Training and
also allow user to capture end-to-end channel model is Linear Equalizer.

Happy Holidays!

Regards

Hock

------------------------------
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:
si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
]
On
Behalf Of Chuck Corley
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:04 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jun;

For your discussion there are several types of devices. There are
"redrivers" which primarily rebuffer signals for amplititude, and
then
there
are also "retimers" which recover and regenerate the signals. The
names
for
these functions can vary between manufacturers.

Chuck

Chuck Corley
National Instruments

On 2015-12-12 03:27, jun zhang wrote:
Hi all,
I think redriver is an old and still difficult topic.

we approach in simulation, redriver can amplify amplitude but
reduce
timing margin case.

Also in test, we approach the case when adding in redriver, TX
can't
find RX.

In redriver chip side, there are different kinds of redrivers:
limiting redriver and linear redriver.

It also seems the effects of redrivers are sensitive to positions
it
locates, expecially for limiting redriver.

We may ship products that can work for PCIE Gen2 but fail for Gen3.
Because
of shipment already, we can't add redrivers in our products. So it
is
an awkard situation when we want to run higher speed on our
products.

So I hope you can share some successful experiecnes on this topic.
When we judge that the insertion loss of the link is high, the
first
thought is adding redriver. But do we need to think more before
adding
redrivers?
Are
we afraid that adding redriver will give even worse effects? What
kinds of redrivers are most suitable to our link?

Hope to your discussion on this interesting topic

--
best wishes,

Jun Zhang

field