[SI-LIST] Re: random pulse generation in SPICE

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Anto Davis <antokdavis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 08:46:18 -0500

Anto,
The 'must' refers to the passive parts of the PDN: those models must be
passive otherwise the result will be incorrect, sometimes grossly. This
requirement is nothing different from the similar requirement towards SI
simulations where it is widely accepted that non-passive channel models
in long time-domain simulations will result in false data.  In this
regard the power source (switching regular, or linear regulator or
battery) makes no difference: it is like the signal driver in SI
simulations; if the rest of the system is passive, models for those
blocks should be passive.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 1/5/2015 5:21 AM, Anto Davis wrote:
> Dr. Istvan,
>
> Why is it a must???
> In a real system, when a switching regulator is present, is it valid??
>
> Is there any related paper??
>
> Anto
>

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anto,
>
>     Regarding the PDN SPICE model: in case you include also the PCB
>     structure, make sure that your model is passive.
>     Causality in PDN simulations is less critical, but if you want to
>     make long time-domain simulations with random excitation patterns,
>     passivity is a must.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Istvan Novak
>     Oracle
>

>     On 1/4/2015 12:21 AM, Anto Davis wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>         I have a PDN with some number of capacitors.
>         I want to study the PDN voltage, when the switching current is
>         varying as
>         in a real IC.
>         What are the methods to study the effect.
>
>         Anto

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: