[SI-LIST] Re: question on IBIS: rising/falling waveform.

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:39:36 -0500

Adeel Ahmad asked:

> 1. what is the need of Ramps when waveform curve is already given?
> (backward compatibility??)

Yes, dV/dt ([Ramp]) data is required for backward compatibilty.

> 2. what input ramp is taken to get the listed fall-rise curves?
> (I read in eigroup.org's FAQs that "IBIS does not provide an Input
> pulse
> specification for deriving Ramp rates"). Then how do i get to see the
> same waveform in my simulator's waveviewer as listed in the IBIS file?

IBIS models do not model complete buffers.  For output buffers, IBIS
models represent only the output pin of the device.

If a simulator uses IBIS models by representing them by a complete
buffer that has both the device output pin and an "input" node that
needs to be driven, then how you drive this "input" node is
implementation dependent (up to the simulator).

Ideally, the results you get from this IBIS model should not depend at
all on the edge rate that you apply to the "input" node.  If the
simulator treats the "input" waveform as a purely binary signal, then it
really should not depend on its edge rate.

Andy

List archives are viewable at: