[SI-LIST] Re: parasitic elements of SMD resistors

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 03:14:39 -0800

Jan, if you want a really accurate answer then a 3D solver is your
friend for this type of work.  Pick any of the commercial tools and you
ought to be able to get a reasonable result.  If you are willing to put
up with the UI, the free FFS programs FastCap and FastHenry should be
able to get you close.  Of late I have spent most of my time with Simbeor.

Steve.
jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello si-list,
>
> I am working on photo-multiplier tube electronics. I am interested
> in the capacitive parasitic elements of surface mount resistors 100K-500K
> (type
> 0805-0603) mounted on FR4 PCB - substrate height range about 0.5mm
> above th GND plane. My interest is primarily on the parallel capacitance.
>
> I googled but came almost empty handed. I have information from
> IEEExplore on photo-diode transimpedance ampli's where the parallel Cp
> capacitance quoted is 0.1pF (R>1Gohm, Tyco HA type, SMD?, see paper
> "How to enlarge the bandwidth without increasing the noise in
> OP-AMP-based transimpedance amplifier", Ciofi et al.)
>
> Vishay reports on high-frequency SMD resistors (type CF20):
> 0.026pF for 0402 and 0.040pF for 0603
>
> Murata's impedance library gives the following data (on SMD inductors):
> 0.09pF for 0402 and 0.16pF for 0603
>
> I prefer the latter data because these likely reflect conditions we will
> experience
> on FR4 PCBs.
>
> Any suggestions for additional data on parallel and shunt capacitances of
> SMD resitors mounted on FR4??
>

> Jan Vercammen
> EMC/Signal Integrity Engineer

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: