[SI-LIST] parasitic elements of SMD resistors

  • From: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:27:30 +0100

Hello si-list,

I am working on photo-multiplier tube electronics. I am interested
in the capacitive parasitic elements of surface mount resistors 100K-500K
(type
0805-0603) mounted on FR4 PCB - substrate height range about 0.5mm
above th GND plane. My interest is primarily on the parallel capacitance.

I googled but came almost empty handed. I have information from
IEEExplore on photo-diode transimpedance ampli's where the parallel Cp
capacitance quoted is 0.1pF (R>1Gohm, Tyco HA type, SMD?, see paper
"How to enlarge the bandwidth without increasing the noise in
OP-AMP-based transimpedance amplifier", Ciofi et al.)

Vishay reports on high-frequency SMD resistors (type CF20):
0.026pF for 0402 and 0.040pF for 0603

Murata's impedance library gives the following data (on SMD inductors):
0.09pF for 0402 and 0.16pF for 0603

I prefer the latter data because these likely reflect conditions we will
experience
on FR4 PCBs.

Any suggestions for additional data on parallel and shunt capacitances of
SMD resitors mounted on FR4??

Jan Vercammen
EMC/Signal Integrity Engineer

List technical documents are available at: